Re: Using Vista..freeing up d drive

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:11:01 -0700, SallyL
<SallyL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 03:16:01 -0700, SallyL
<SallyL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

kittridge1 wrote:

I have Vista and my D drive is almost full. I believe its because of
backups. I bought more Ram, deleted files and finally tryed to delete
all before my latest restore point. That didn't work. Didn't even
seem to run! I have 140 gig left on my hard drive and 470 mg on my
D..Please help!!!

Yes, 470 milligrams is very little. ;-)

Please help us to help you. What is your D drive? Is it a separate hard
drive? A partition of your only hard drive? Something else?

How big is it? What do you use it for? Do you run a program that puts
backups there?

What files did you delete? From what drive?

Please reply to the newsgroup

hi there..
it seems that everybody's D: drive is full but mine is C: drive. Wats wrong?

I have no idea, since you've omitted the essential information
describing your problem. See below.

my C: drive has only 10%-20% left

Exactly how big is your C: drive?

but my D: drive has about 80%

And exactly how big is your D: drive.

(used to be
90% but now 80% bcos i put some of the files like videos, music, documents
files to D: drive to free my C: drive) . i just want to know which is
actually a backup or restore drive?

Probably neither.

which one that windows always use alot?

Normally C:.

it seems to me is my C: drive. r there any problem? how to use D: drive more
to make my C: drive lesser? my notebook is NEC VersaA2200 AMD Turion 64
mobile technology.

It's very difficult to be sure of anything with so little information,
but I'll take a few guesses:

1. Your computer came with a single hard drive that was partitioned
into two pieces called C: and D:. Think of your drive as a two-drawer
filing cabinet.

2. Since 90% of D: was free, D: is probably not any kind of recovery
partition, but just a second place for you to store your files.

If the above is correct, then it's up to you to use D: instead of C:
for whatever you want. Just as with the filing cabinet, if you put
everything into the top drawer and leave the bottom one empty, you
will run into problems. You say you "put some of the files like
videos, music, documents files to D: drive to free my C: drive."
That's good. Continue doing more of the same.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

hi Ken

what info u need to know about my laptop?

meanwhile, ive 1GB memory. drive C: has 18.6GB & drive D: also 18.6GB. I
believe both drives share that 1GB laptop memory overall & my hardrives
memory is 40GB.

anymore pls help? should i add in another 1GB to have 2GB memory or just
leave it just like tat? thanks

OK, so you have a 40GB drive which has been partitioned into two equal
parts, called C: and D:. As I suggested, neither appears to be a
backup or restore partition, but it's simply like the two-drawer
filing cabinet I pointed out above. Which partition you put any
particular file in is up to you. If you always just accept the default
and put everything in C: it's not a surprise that you're running out
of space on C: while having lots left on D:. You need to start moving
some files to D: (data files only, please; you can't move program
files) and start putting files there in the future instead of on C:

By the way, it's important to realize that these two "drives," C: and
D:, are actually not separate drives, but just partitions--pieces of
the single hard drive you have. That makes using D: as a backup of C:
a very poor choice. It's better than no backup at all, but just
barely. It leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original
and backup to many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches,
nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.
Real backup needs to be on media stored externally to the computer.

Finally, regarding your question "should i add in another 1GB to have
2GB memory," that has nothing to do with your use of the D: partition,
but the answer is that you need to determine whether the performance
of your computer is adequate for you. For most people running Windows
Vista, 1GB is not sufficient, and 2GB makes a substantial improvement,
but the choice is yours.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
.