Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine

Not sure what this post is about since the first post in this thread doesn't
have copy, however I can guess since I had the issue last night after trying
to install the Windows update KB950582. It downloaded, restarted tried to
install, shut down, said it was "improperly configured" and tried to roll
back. Rebooted and got the "Windows not genuine" screen.

Boot to safe mode and you can get in to your restore point. Restoring
brought things back to normal. Rebooting from last known good configuration
did not work.

Still haven't figured out how to install the update.

"_Snake_" wrote:

I am having the same problem as of yesterday. However, my story is a bit
different.

I got a virus few days ago, and yesterday I ran a full system scan (in
dos) before booting the windows (vista). After the scan finished &
infected files were deleted, Windows Vista booted and as it was doing so
some screen popped up displaying the pros/advantages of getting a
genuine copy of windows. Anyways, when I got to the desktop, it showed
the exact same message in the bottom right corner, as the thread starter
had mentioned:
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ungenuineek0.jpg

Windows Vista came (already installed) with my Sony Vaio, which I
bought some time last summer (before June). And if you think I am making
this up (or if my copy really is ungenuine), I can take a picture of the
MS-Vista / Sony chip/card embedded beneath my laptop (proof of license),
and post it here (of course, with the product key blackened out).

So.. does anyone know how to fix this issue?

--
_Snake_

  • Re: Assume ? What about OEM users?
    ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ... > If this is a relatively recent issue, you might try using System Restore ... > If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows: ... > Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Updates if no internet connection
    ... Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista ... There are 3 prerequisites updates that are required before instaling the SP1 package that is available from Windows Update. ... I still can't work out if I need to install the three pre-SP1 updates even if I am using the standalone version of SP1. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Restore Question....
    ... In Start, Control Panel, Automatic Updates uncheck Automatic and check ... "Notify me but don't automatically download or install". ... computer up-to-date with Windows Update and opt for a Custom install. ... About three weeks ago I tried to use the System Restore feature ...
  • Re: Have proof MS removes restore points!!!!
    ... By using my code I have traced that problem to the API execution which is ... I know how to restore my system. ... Since then I DID NOT install any additional software except ... Yesterday my Windows become very sluggish so today I have decided ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Screensaver has encountered a problem...
    ... I have no restore point to return to because I ... I can't run Windows in it's current state so I ... If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows: ... all I get is the notification that screensaver>> must ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)