Re: Task manager /Performance

In message <3570F89C-25A6-4031-B1E6-8AFF0F172FD1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hike_Mike <HikeMike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the screeen (dual core) for CPU useage there are two CPU useage histories.

If you configure it so, then yes.

Which CPU is 'CPU useage' referring to? Simarly in "Processes' is the CPU
the sum of the two CPUs or one of them, or adjust equivalent to one of them.

This is the CPU resources that the application is using, over the total
CPU resources available.

In other words, a single threaded application (or an application locked
to one processor) using 100% of a single processor will report 50%
(well, actually probably 49%) in the Performance tab in Task Manager.

The reason I ask is that when re-building the index, I note that the idle
process never goes below 84%, and the "CPU use history' is around 8-9%. So
this implies that

1) Indexing is really slow

Yes, intentionally so to avoid causing performance issues for the user.
Stop touching the computer for a couple minutes and you may see this
pick up a bit.

2) It uses both CPUs, but very little

Also true.

3) Tweaking the priority to 'high' doesn't do anyting with useage.

Nor should it. Unless your system is starved for resources (running at
100% CPU) priorities don't mean anything.

I would appreciate any comments on how to use the Performance graph or how
to tweak indexing using the task manager..

What is the problem you're experiencing? Is the index not keeping up
with your changes?

  • Re: Service using 97% of CPU
    ... specifically what is using the CPU resources. ... "Grey hair caused by computers" ... I'd be looking at Process Explorer to see if you can more ... closely determine what's using those CPU cycles. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Incorrect CPU process accounting using CONFIG_HZ=100
    ... tick fires. ... cpu resources on by running at 100HZ. ... If I am reading this correctly, then the kernel is accounting process times twice: ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Managing CPU usage
    ... > When I run a given application and monitor its cpu usage with the windows ... > entire process only consumes 50% of cpu resources. ... You can right-click the process name in the task manager and goto [Set ... (I forget what the API function is though) ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: VMM scan rate and free list
    ... It seems your CPU has some ideal time(Free CPU resources) aslo some ... I hope youe server may be I/O bounded, so can check with the iostat & ... constantly have approx 1Gb memory available. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Incorrect CPU process accounting using CONFIG_HZ=100
    ... It is not a bug... ... If you eat "too little" cpu ... cpu resources on by running at 100HZ. ... If I am reading this correctly, then the kernel is accounting process times ...
    (Linux-Kernel)