Re: Desktop & taskbar not showing up and as a result a number of programs doesn't run

The key was exactly the one that you had mentioned.

I did not change change the key, rather the value that already existed
was needed to be changed to just explorer.exe (the one that you
mentioned).

The value that existed was "Explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe" without the quotes.

What was that extra bit of parameter doing there?

Thanks again. I would have never noticed it if it wasn't for you
assistance.

BurrWalnut;670287 Wrote:
If the key I suggested you changed was OK, what key did you change?

I need to know for my records.

Thank you.

"mihafiz" wrote:
-

Thanks a million!!!

I tried BurrWalnut's solution before going on to trying Hans-Georg
Michna's solution.

BurrWalnut's solution worked with a little modification and I did not
have to go through the repair installation procedure :)

The registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon already existed with the value
"Explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe" in Shell REZ_SG with out the quotes.
I just changed it to "explorer.exe" and restarted the system.

Thanks again.

BurrWalnut;669803 Wrote: -
This may help:
Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and
navigate
registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane, make sure there is a
REG_SZ
named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation
marks).
If
it�s not there, create it by clicking Edit New String Value
then
right-click it and key in explorer.exe then restart the computer.

If the Windows Orb (Start) is missing, open regedit via Task Manager
by

pressing Ctrl + Shift +Esc then on the Applications Tab click
ââ?¬Ë?New
Task� at
the bottom, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

"mihafiz" wrote:
-

Hi,

I fell into a serious problem.
I use Vista Home premium on my MSI notebook.
Now it doesnot show up desktop and taskbar and many programs like
yahoo
messenger, DU meter etc. stops or gives error. How do I bring back
my
desktop and taskbar? I tried system restore but it did not solve the
problem.

Now here is what happened just before this problem showed up:
As I was leaving for my university I turned off the system. I closed
the lid, took off the power cable and went away. As it was raining
heavily, I did not feel like taking it along. After about four
hours,
came back to find the orange battery light blinking indicating that
the
system had gone hibernating upon reaching critical battery. I
plugged
in the cable and resumed windows.
As soon as I logged into my user, I found that the system was asking
whether to close firefox and MS word 2007 that were open at the time
intended to shut down the system. I guess, over security is not
appreciable. Anyway, i clicked yes and it took some time to
automatically close the two programs which otherwise would have
taken
me seconds to manually close them. As I waited, the screen was
little
darkened as usual by that windows message. I clicked twice on the
taskbar. It flashed on both occasions and then shut down.

Then I restarted the system. Everything was just as before until the
login screen came. It was normal too. I logged in...now it took more
time than usual showing the 'Welcome' message and then a blank
screen
came up and a second later my documents folder showed up with no
desktop and taskbar. The problem commenced. I tried to open du meter
and yahoo messenger and a few other programs using the task manager,
all failed. MSN messenger opened, MS office opened and a few other
regular ones opened fine from the task manager. However, after
trying
several tens of times, i couldn't bring the desktop or the taskbar
back. I tried system restore to about a month earlier too but
nothing
happened. I tried to log in as another valid user, it gave exactly
the
same problem. I created a new user and then logged in... the same
problem.

I really need help now. I do not want to re-install the OS and go
through the pain of installing the drivers again and all those
registration and stuffs.

I really need help to get back the desktop and taskbar.
Please do help if you can.

--
Thanks
mihafiz