Re: my vista works slowly!

"Shane Nokes" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's a standard specs sig, and is actually helpful to have when a person
is posting a help question.

Maybe so... it's not a "standard" Usenet sig of four lines.

From "Zen and the Art of the Internet":

"At the end of most articles is a small blurb called a person's
signature. In Unix this file is named .signature in the person's login
directory---it will vary for other operating systems. It exists to
provide information about how to get in touch with the person posting
the article, including their email address, phone number, address, or
where they're located. Even so, signatures have become the graffiti
of computers. People put song lyrics, pictures, philosophical quotes,
even advertisements in their ``.sigs''. (Note, however, that
advertising in your signature will more often than not get you flamed
until you take it out.)

Four lines will suffice---more is just extra garbage for Usenet sites
to carry along with your article, which is supposed to be the intended
focus of the reader. Netiquette dictates limiting oneself to this
"quota'' of four---some people make signatures that are ten lines or
even more, including elaborate ASCII drawings of their hand-written
signature or faces or even the space shuttle. This is not cute, and
will bother people to no end."

Then again you really shouldn't be listening to all the "random women" who
keep telling you less is more.

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
rive0108 <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--
rive0108

Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.67 GHZ)
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
1920x1200 WUXGA
4GB DDR2 PC5300
Blu-ray BD-RE UJ-220
HP digital Tuner express card
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0

Judging from the size of your sig, I'd guess that you have some,
err... umm... " self esteem" problems.

In sigs, size DOES matter: smaller is better.

  • Re: Radio Times Spoilers - Week Ending 24th February
    ... takes yer choice in terms of sig separators. ... It's a bit like top posting. ... Some posters prefer to personalise their signature differently every ... I have an automatic sig, but I can change it every time if I choose to do ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: {OT} pro-life vs. pro-abortion
    ... My signature shouldn't be the last thing in your posting. ... Google Groups knows how to insert sig lines, ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Nuclear Power - the only answer.
    ... >>the materials are just too hard to come by... ... I wish I had one penny for every signature, security pass and lock I have ... One sig each. ... National Standards Lab but only on the grounds of an out of calibration ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Android sales will top 55 million for 2010
    ... "Android sales" are holding steady at zero, ... A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: A New One on the International Security FARCE
    ... to plagarize a passage by Henry Thoreau in his sig, ... your JUVENILE way of wasting bandwidth on your addiction. ... foregone your juvenile behavior in posting your sig with that ... Read my posts from http://groups.google.com and ...
    (rec.scuba.locations)