Re: my vista works slowly!

"Shane Nokes" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's a standard specs sig, and is actually helpful to have when a person
is posting a help question.

Maybe so... it's not a "standard" Usenet sig of four lines.

From "Zen and the Art of the Internet":

"At the end of most articles is a small blurb called a person's
signature. In Unix this file is named .signature in the person's login
directory---it will vary for other operating systems. It exists to
provide information about how to get in touch with the person posting
the article, including their email address, phone number, address, or
where they're located. Even so, signatures have become the graffiti
of computers. People put song lyrics, pictures, philosophical quotes,
even advertisements in their ``.sigs''. (Note, however, that
advertising in your signature will more often than not get you flamed
until you take it out.)

Four lines will suffice---more is just extra garbage for Usenet sites
to carry along with your article, which is supposed to be the intended
focus of the reader. Netiquette dictates limiting oneself to this
"quota'' of four---some people make signatures that are ten lines or
even more, including elaborate ASCII drawings of their hand-written
signature or faces or even the space shuttle. This is not cute, and
will bother people to no end."

Then again you really shouldn't be listening to all the "random women" who
keep telling you less is more.

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
rive0108 <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--
rive0108

Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.67 GHZ)
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
1920x1200 WUXGA
4GB DDR2 PC5300
Blu-ray BD-RE UJ-220
HP digital Tuner express card
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0

Judging from the size of your sig, I'd guess that you have some,
err... umm... " self esteem" problems.

In sigs, size DOES matter: smaller is better.

  • Re: Radio Times Spoilers - Week Ending 24th February
    ... takes yer choice in terms of sig separators. ... It's a bit like top posting. ... Some posters prefer to personalise their signature differently every ... I have an automatic sig, but I can change it every time if I choose to do ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: {OT} pro-life vs. pro-abortion
    ... My signature shouldn't be the last thing in your posting. ... Google Groups knows how to insert sig lines, ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Nuclear Power - the only answer.
    ... >>the materials are just too hard to come by... ... I wish I had one penny for every signature, security pass and lock I have ... One sig each. ... National Standards Lab but only on the grounds of an out of calibration ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Eliminate Dashes Above Signatures
    ... You will see that the delimiter and sig in your reply was removed, ... OE-QuoteFix can be used to configured OE to add the sig to the bottom of the message and to place the cursor at the bottom of quoted replies as well. ... Your best bet to overcome OE's default behavior would be not to use any OE signature option. ...
  • Re: Importance of correct attribution [was: Re: Deceptively OT]
    ... Skitt did not include a sig in his post, the reply mechanism of Outlook Express producing my post has treated the last sentence as a signature and would require insertion of his one paragraph post by hand. ... An email signature is a block of text appended to the end of an email message often containing the sender's name, address, phone number, disclaimer or other contact information. ... I have formatted the Wikipedia article to emphasize the prescription. ...
    (alt.usage.english)