How to speed up Vista

Many people I see are having the problem in regards to either a slow
boot up, or windows is slow to load Programs.

I myself have 4GB of ram, and I am using a SATA RAID 0 config. This can
result in heavy fragmentation and a slow system- especially after
recording tv on MCE.

Deframenting speeds up the system dramatically, BUT using the default
defragmentation doesn't defrag files bigger than 64MB.

_*So_here_are_two_steps_to_a_faster_system:*_

*1. Do a full defrag- all files*
Start>All Programs>Acessories>Right Click Command Prompt>"Run as
Administrator">at command prompt, copy and paste the following:

*defrag c: -w*

*2. Check disk for errors*
Start>Computer>Right Click "C" drive>Click Properties>Tools>Error
Checking-Click "Check Now">Under Check Disk Options click "Automatically
fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
sectors"> Restart Computer

*-(note-substitute "c" for the drive letter you want to defrag/check
for errors)-*

When computer restarts after check disk you will notice system is much
faster, and more responsive.

--
rive0108

Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.67 GHZ)
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
1920x1200 WUXGA
4GB DDR2 PC5300
Blu-ray BD-RE UJ-220
HP digital Tuner express card
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0

  • Re: Impossible to delete a certain MP3
    ... You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors ... and bad sectors on your hard disk. ... Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors ... For a look at the chkdsk log. ...
  • Re: Checking harddrive for errors
    ... You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors ... and bad sectors on your hard disk. ... In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to ... For a look at the chkdsk log. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Chkdsk always checks ps scratchdisk?
    ... > will 'fix' bad sectors as well as file system errors. ... > e.g. CHKDSK H: /F will check and if necessary repair file system ... /R will do as above AND check for bad sectors on the disk ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.photoshop)
  • Re: Chkdsk does not work
    ... What happens if you open My computer, right click a disk, Properties on the Tools Tab, Click the Check Now button? ... > Is there a way to cancel a scheduled chkdsk /f.When i do a chkdsk /f it ... > restart computer but all it does restarts the pc with running chkdsk.I> try ... > be great.I am running windows xp media edition 2005 on a laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Check Disk error log? Bad sector report?
    ... Where is the Check Disk log kept? ... automatically fix file system errors and scan for and ... then continued to boot and I would like to see what it said. ... how do I get a listed of how many bad sectors my disks have. ...