How to speed up Vista

Many people I see are having the problem in regards to either a slow
boot up, or windows is slow to load Programs.

I myself have 4GB of ram, and I am using a SATA RAID 0 config. This can
result in heavy fragmentation and a slow system- especially after
recording tv on MCE.

Deframenting speeds up the system dramatically, BUT using the default
defragmentation doesn't defrag files bigger than 64MB.

_*So_here_are_two_steps_to_a_faster_system:*_

*1. Do a full defrag- all files*
Start>All Programs>Acessories>Right Click Command Prompt>"Run as
Administrator">at command prompt, copy and paste the following:

*defrag c: -w*

*2. Check disk for errors*
Start>Computer>Right Click "C" drive>Click Properties>Tools>Error
Checking-Click "Check Now">Under Check Disk Options click "Automatically
fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad
sectors"> Restart Computer

*-(note-substitute "c" for the drive letter you want to defrag/check
for errors)-*

When computer restarts after check disk you will notice system is much
faster, and more responsive.

--
rive0108

Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64 sp1
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.67 GHZ)
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
1920x1200 WUXGA
4GB DDR2 PC5300
Blu-ray BD-RE UJ-220
HP digital Tuner express card
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0

  • Re: Impossible to delete a certain MP3
    ... You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors ... and bad sectors on your hard disk. ... Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors ... For a look at the chkdsk log. ...
  • Re: Checking harddrive for errors
    ... You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors ... and bad sectors on your hard disk. ... In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to ... For a look at the chkdsk log. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Chkdsk always checks ps scratchdisk?
    ... > will 'fix' bad sectors as well as file system errors. ... > e.g. CHKDSK H: /F will check and if necessary repair file system ... /R will do as above AND check for bad sectors on the disk ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.photoshop)
  • Re: Chkdsk does not work
    ... What happens if you open My computer, right click a disk, Properties on the Tools Tab, Click the Check Now button? ... > Is there a way to cancel a scheduled chkdsk /f.When i do a chkdsk /f it ... > restart computer but all it does restarts the pc with running chkdsk.I> try ... > be great.I am running windows xp media edition 2005 on a laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: windows XP new problems just released
    ... Windows Update. ... disk is being checked. ... Automatically fix file system errors. ... does XP not have a scan disk option? ...