Re: Clock malfunction

OK, Nonny,

I think I see your reasoning about the clock,

If an operator has power on 24-7 with no shutdowns,
The clock should never run down, RIGHT?

However when ever you close the lid on a laptop or shutdown a desktop,
The power to the motherboard is OFF.
The cmos battery now has to maintain all the basic settings, and over a period of time will run down.
As the battery weakens the clock loses time.
These batteries are not rechargeable.
These batteries are usually good for about 5 years on an average PC.

I hope I make sense to you with my thinking,

Jerry

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:t10g6417qje2q7qrqbmr1dot473r8erafk@xxxxxxxxxx
"JerryM" <jerrym526@xxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, I guess I'm thinking that the clock is controlled by the BIOS, enlighten
me!

If it's controlled by the BIOS, then why do XP and Vista have built-in
functions that are meant to keep it accurate? Why are there numerous
little programs available that will sync the clock to the atomic clock
source of your choosing? Surely, none of those are part of the BIOS.

You have attributed a slow clock to the mobo BIOS battery. I have
told you that only works when all power sources OTHER THAN that
battery are disconnected - and then only if that battery is failing
(which is a rare occurrence these days).

Conclusion: when one or more (as in the case of a laptop) of those
power sources are connected, and the clock is running slow... then
it's a different cause.

What is that cause? I ain't got a clue. I've not had that problem,
so I've never had to research it.

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • Re: Underfloor Heating In Conservatory problems
    ... It could be that only the clock is maintained by the battery backup and the rest stored in non-volatile ram. ... succeptible to power outage. ... RTC chip. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time
    ... Noise on the power lines triggering added pulses. ... I once modified a vacuum fluorescent alarm clock to keep accurate ... and the internal 9v battery runs the clock. ... If the power dies in the morning, ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Underfloor Heating In Conservatory problems
    ... It could be that only the clock is maintained by the ... battery backup and the rest stored in non-volatile ram. ... succeptible to power outage. ... RTC chip. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Computer loosing time
    ... System time doesn't rely on CMOS clock except to to reand from the clock ... The problem was in fact the power supply that wasn't giving enough power on the 3.3v, so the system was relying on the battery... ... If the voltages there are too far from their rated voltage, there may be a problem (remember, when the OS is loaded, computer needs more power than when in the Bios only... ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: clock driven equatorial mount.
    ... > hence a true clock driven mount, ... > when in fact they need an electric power supply. ... > Alternatively something that will run off a light battery, ... I cannot think of anyone still machine 'clockwork' clock drives. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)