Re: Avg. Disk queue length

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:06:19 -0500, shazbot <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

after reading up, it seems that if I transfert my raid 5 to a raid 1 or
0 setup it might makes things faster

That's a very strange question. RAID 0 and RAID 1 are completely
different and used for very different purposes. To think of them as
alternatives is certainly very odd.

RAID 0, in theory, will speed up the computer over no RAID, but in
practice, it usually does so so little as to be unnoticeable.
Considering that it also greatly increases the risk to your data, I
recommend against it.

I don't know anything about the relative speeds of RAID 1 and RAID 5.

RAID 1, as I said, is completely different. It's mirroring, used for
redundancy, not performance.

EVGA 132-CK-NF780-A1, BIOS 05
Intel X6800@xxxx
Video Asus EN8800GTX
Western Digital Caviar RE 320 Gb * 3 raid 5
Western Digital Caviar RE 250 Gb * 1
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1 To * 1
G-Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ (2GB x 2) now not used
Corsair 2x4096 - 8500C5DF
Monitor SyncMaster 930B(Digital)* 2
Antec Truepower Quattro 850 power supply
Vista Business 64bit
Noctua NH-U12P
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
Azuntech X-Fi Prelude sound card
Steelpad keyboard, Logitech G5 Mouse

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Avg. Disk queue length
    ... it seems that if I transfert my raid 5 to a raid 1 or ... setup it might makes things faster ...
  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.0, software RAID, and booting
    ... I do not want any of the drives holding parts of swap to crash the ... It looks like I will have to go with LILO instead of GRUB. ... have to establish the RAID after the initial setup. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Raid 0 not booting
    ... 2X 500 GB WD Sata hard drives setup in RAID 0 ...
  • Re: Trying to Create a RAID 0 volume
    ... I created a RAID volume in the controller bios but Windows XP Pro ... Setup cannot find it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Profession support Windows base (software) mirror?
    ... I had a Brand PC with XP SP2 Pro already setup. ... systems by large manufacturers like Dell) will have RAID 0, RAID 1, and ... Any malware infection, program error, or user error will be exactly ... replicated on BOTH drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)