Re: Flash Drive being used as regular RAM or Readyboost

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 01:17:20 -0500, Mike Lewis
<guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I AM NEW HERE AND HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND HOW TO ACTIVATE MY FLASH

Please don't yell at us. We can hear you if type normally, in mixed
case.

DRIVE MEMORY TO BE USED AS REGULAR RAM

No, that's not possible.

([/B]- I READ I COULD SOME PLACE
AND PURCHASED A 8 GIG SD FLASH USB- ) *OR AS A READYBOOST AND WOULD LIKE
TO TRY IT OUT INSTEAD OF BUYING AND INSTALLING RAM (* -CURRENTLY AT 1
GIG RAM- [B]) IN TO MY LAP TOP. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS
WELL AS ANY IDEA'S ON HOW USING MY FLASH DRIVE TO ENHANCE MY SYSTEM.

You're thinking of ReadyBoost. You can use it as ReadyBoost, but
that's not the same as using it as regular RAM.

In my experience, ReadyBoost helps only on computers with less
than 2GB of RAM. And since my recommendation is that any Vista
computer with less than 2GB should be upgraded to at least 2GB, I
think ReadyBoost is essentially useless.

Your money is better spent on more RAM than on a ReadyBoost device.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: will readyboost/superfetch degrade performance on a pc w/o paging file?
    ... would using readyboost degrade my performance since it is using flash media as cache or is it fast enough to even improve performance? ... Is there a specific class of flash storage speed that i shoud use to realize improved performance with the current configuration of my pc? ... Unless your computer is set to do only one repetitive task, and space is at a premium, there is no point in disabling the paging file. ... Turning off the paging file and then employing a flash drive in Readyboost mode is not the way to go. ...
  • Re: The performance of WinForms is terrible
    ... flash memory and refused to believe that Microsoft had engineered ... Flash on degrades on writes, ... I meant to say ReadyBoost rather than SuperFetch but your comment ... about how Microsoft engineered around the premature failure problem to get ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Best format for ReadyBoost
    ... Just an update to this thread for anyone reading this now that flash ... I dont know if vista's readyboost has ... been updated in line with Win7 but for Win 7 the readyboost cache can be ... I changed my 8gb card from Fat32 to NTFS hence ...
  • Re: Performance and Flash Pipelining on TI 28F12 DSPs
    ... > of "critical code" we could move to RAM. ... > from internal flash? ... Since the external RAM is as big as the internal flash, ... the timers and all other interrupts are shut off, ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    ... The fact is, enterprise scale ramdisks are here now, while ... enterprise scale flash is not. ... does not approach the write performance of RAM, ... My goal is not to replace RAM with flash, but disk with flash. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)