WLAN security concerns

Hi group,

I just set up a home wireless network (first time) and in the process some security questions came up.

I am using a 2wire gateway provided by AT&T. It has a firewall internal, and all 3 of my machines have windows firewall functional. In order to make the wireless connection, I was required to enter the Passkey number from the gateway, but I was given the choice to connect to 2 other networks which I assume belonged to neighbors. The signals were weak, but I tried one and was able to piggyback to the 'net with no problem. My question is, how do I know that the neighbors are not able to connect to my network? Should I care? Would they be able to hack into my machines, and if so what should I do about it?

Dave T.

  • Re: [SLE] connection redundancy
    ... which is the router just this side of the ... >>because it's own gateway is still up. ... You'll also need three network cards to put into this Linux box. ... your internal LAN can route packets to the Internet. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cant access secure Web pages
    ... and which need to be contacted via the Default Gateway. ... The Default Gateway being the software process that does the network ... Gateway (as set up by your ISP's DHCP packet to the router), ... me so I can send it directly (to the MAC address discovered by ARP). ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Problem with Cable Moden & Router.
    ... gateway is the way in or out. ... a gateway leads to another network. ... Where two routes with different network masks overlap ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?
    ... experience with plan 9 to comment with any sort of authority. ... redundant resources on the gateway. ... gateway and the host on the internal network. ... "Whoa, here comes a network, we're going to need some more syscalls!" ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Dual NICs, Routing Problem
    ... There can only be one default gateway (unless you are using extra stuff as ... network that is NOT directly attached to one of your interfaces. ... >> Do all the hosts on 192.1.36.0 know that if they want to talk to any host on ... Here, the web server needs to know the IP of eth0 on the DataBase Server, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)