Re: Verify TCP/IP address for shared drive

Thank you for the update.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Frank C" <FrankC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:104E79C1-0D53-4387-8723-A0A540A5865D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to Bob and Jack,
I have gotten successful access via the shortcut if I insure that the
external drive is powered up before I boot the computer. It then presents a
screen to enter the logon via a dropdown and enter a password. I hope this is
a permanent solution!
Thanks

--
Frank C
Dell Inspiron 530S

"Frank C" wrote:

Hi,
I have a shortcut to access a local network shared external drive. It shows
an address of \\192.168.1.4 This shortcut generally fails with
"192.168.1.4Public is not accessable. You may not have permission to use the
network resource. Contact the administrator fo this device to find out if
you have access permission".
Sometimes it works and gives me the opportunity to enter the admin name and
password. I can access the drive with Windows Explorer using the Network
entry in explorer. How can I verify the if address in the shortcut is
correct? Is there some other problem that I should address?
Thanks
--

.