Re: Verify TCP/IP address for shared drive

Thank you for the update.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Frank C" <FrankC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:104E79C1-0D53-4387-8723-A0A540A5865D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to Bob and Jack,
I have gotten successful access via the shortcut if I insure that the
external drive is powered up before I boot the computer. It then presents a
screen to enter the logon via a dropdown and enter a password. I hope this is
a permanent solution!
Thanks

--
Frank C
Dell Inspiron 530S

"Frank C" wrote:

Hi,
I have a shortcut to access a local network shared external drive. It shows
an address of \\192.168.1.4 This shortcut generally fails with
"192.168.1.4Public is not accessable. You may not have permission to use the
network resource. Contact the administrator fo this device to find out if
you have access permission".
Sometimes it works and gives me the opportunity to enter the admin name and
password. I can access the drive with Windows Explorer using the Network
entry in explorer. How can I verify the if address in the shortcut is
correct? Is there some other problem that I should address?
Thanks
--
Frank C
Dell Inspiron 530S
Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1
Dell studio laptop
Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1
HP Photosmart D7260

  • No DCHP, static works fine
    ... It's in to be reimaged to XP Professional SP1. ... I've got a Ghost image ... "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network ... the Network Card with network address 00D0593A087E." ...
  • Re: 2003 SP1 breaks VPN router on all servers I try
    ... network interfaces I give up again. ... Do SP1 CDs create toxic fumes>when burned? ... Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 898060 outlines a very specific and limited ... - Inability to connect to terminal servers or to file share access. ...
  • 2003 SP1 locks up machine solidly when accessing (cifs) network
    ... After removing SP1 this behavior seems to be resolved, for obvious reasons I would like to have this service pack. ... I played around changing drivers for the network card, the sata-raid controller, with or without the motherboard drivers, but it doesn't seem to matter ... I have no clue how I can get more debug info out of this machine too resolve this issue, any suggestion how I should proceed? ...
  • XP Home & XP Pro - peer to peer
    ... I'm having problems trying to get my existing XP Home (SP1) machine to ... peer to peer network setup between the XP Home PC and an older Win98 machine ... .both are running NetBIOS over TCP/IP ...
  • Re: SP1 and ICS
    ... no sorry on the reg front but I will have a look this weekend see if I can ... >> ended up being firewall settings that weren't displayed in the gui to the ... All the network computer can access the ... >>> I have since uninstalled SP1 and all is working again. ...