Re: Home: Laptop to desktop/printer contection

"schnoffrey" <schnoffrey.3xco0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:schnoffrey.3xco0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How do I find out if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?

Those forst two links you mention, do I do those on my desktop or
laptop?

Thanks
Mike Hall - MVP;1541758 Wrote:
"schnoffrey" <schnoffrey.3xch0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:schnoffrey.3xch0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Is there a way to contect my laptop running Window's Vista to my
Desktop
> and Printer? My wireless modem is Netgear and is attached to my
> desktop. My desktop is running Windows XP.
>
> Can i print from my laptop to my printer connected to my desktop? If
> can access files from my desktop great but not necessary.
>
> I know enought to be dangerous, but not really a techie. If anyone
can
> help I'd appreciate it. Even if the answer is no you can't do this.
>
> Thanks
> Geoff
>

> --
> schnoffrey

Yes..

First, you have to do this..

'Windows File and Printer Sharing - How to Enable or Disable'
(http://tinyurl.com/ypaaze)

and this

http://tinyurl.com/yw66sv

Now you need to set the same workgroup for each machine..

Choose one and right click on My Computer

Click on the 'Computer Name' and make a note of the workgroup name. It
may
even be 'workgroup'

Now do the same on the other computer and ensure that the same
workgroup
name exists. If it doesn't, change it.

Reboot both machines.

Time to add a network printer to Vista..

http://tinyurl.com/2k8o84.

I am assuming that both machines are running 32-bit operating systems.
If
Vista is 64-bit, tell me and I will give you instruction on how to add
the
printer..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience