Re: Home: Laptop to desktop/printer contection

"schnoffrey" <schnoffrey.3xco0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:schnoffrey.3xco0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How do I find out if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?

Those forst two links you mention, do I do those on my desktop or
laptop?

Thanks
Mike Hall - MVP;1541758 Wrote:
"schnoffrey" <schnoffrey.3xch0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:schnoffrey.3xch0i@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Is there a way to contect my laptop running Window's Vista to my
Desktop
> and Printer? My wireless modem is Netgear and is attached to my
> desktop. My desktop is running Windows XP.
>
> Can i print from my laptop to my printer connected to my desktop? If
> can access files from my desktop great but not necessary.
>
> I know enought to be dangerous, but not really a techie. If anyone
can
> help I'd appreciate it. Even if the answer is no you can't do this.
>
> Thanks
> Geoff
>

> --
> schnoffrey

Yes..

First, you have to do this..

'Windows File and Printer Sharing - How to Enable or Disable'
(http://tinyurl.com/ypaaze)

and this

http://tinyurl.com/yw66sv

Now you need to set the same workgroup for each machine..

Choose one and right click on My Computer

Click on the 'Computer Name' and make a note of the workgroup name. It
may
even be 'workgroup'

Now do the same on the other computer and ensure that the same
workgroup
name exists. If it doesn't, change it.

Reboot both machines.

Time to add a network printer to Vista..

http://tinyurl.com/2k8o84.

I am assuming that both machines are running 32-bit operating systems.
If
Vista is 64-bit, tell me and I will give you instruction on how to add
the
printer..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
'Mike&#39;s Window - MSMVPS.COM' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/)

--
schnoffrey

If you don't know whether 64-bit or 32-bit, you most likely have 32-bit on both so don't worry about it..

The first two links, one was for XP, one was for Vista, so use the appropriate instructions for each machine..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

  • clarification sought in using XP Pro laptop for domain at work and workgroup at home
    ... I am inquiring for a friend. ... The XP Pro laptop was once configured for a two-computer workgroup. ... "WORKGROUP" as the name of its network affiliation. ...
  • RE: windows domain question
    ... After joining then leaving the domain into some workgroup, ... Subject: windows domain question ... I think what Mike was asking is, what happens if a laptop is removed from a ... As far as passwords that may have been ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: File and Printer sharing
    ... message "workgroup is not accessable. ... 3--activate guest accounts and sychonize all password and account names. ... desktop running Windows XP Home from the laptop running Windows XP Pro. ... Where do you enter the following NTRights commands? ...
  • Re: Cannot view network computers
    ... "Unable to open *View Workgroup Computers* nor access ... "jinnii" wrote: ... connection utility on the laptop and unchecked WZC, ... ping itself but not the PC. ...
  • Re: Cant See My Laptop in the Workgroup
    ... Originally, the laptop ... >I add the laptop to the workgroup, ... Make sure the browser service is running on each computer in the workgroup. ... The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers you have in your ...