Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:17159323-8CC7-4D0F-9B1D-3D43DB7C0950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First, make sure the DC is setup as DNS server. The on each workstation, make sure TCP/IP is setup to point DC IP as DNS.

Or have the DC also be the DHCP server and have it hand out its own
address as DNS. Then have each workstation get its IP and DNS info
from there. When we first installed a Verizon T-1 line, Verizon
advised us to use their server for DNS. Forget that! I used ours.

Tom Lake

  • Re: \domainname.comSYSVOL is not browseable
    ... > I just fried my computer today and setup a new ... > workstation with a new xp os. ... You must remove SBC's DNS from your TCP/IP configuration, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: New Workstations not added...well maybe !!
    ... >New setup of WIN2000 DNS server. ... I added a workstation successfully to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Slow web access - DNS related
    ... I allowed the XP clients to get their IP from the router's DHCP ... I would have set the DNS to the ISP's DNS directly. ... I noticed that my workstation was loading webpages (the initial ... I'm really curious to find out why this setup is working differently from ...
  • RE: long shutdown delay
    ... You need to setup the DNS on the server with the primary and secondary IP's ... and then on the workstation point the DNS to the Servers IP address. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Event ID 5719: No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain .
    ... The workstation gets its networking information from DHCP that, in turn, ... the DNS has Enable Forwarders and the ... I don't believe the problem to be at the server end though. ... security settings) I messed with and that policy has since been removed. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)