Re: Event ID 1003 - DHCP Client Lease Validity

"Wao" <wao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Almost every time I wake up my MS Vista desktop computer (with all
updates, SP2+) from the sleep mode (S3) I get a "Local Only" connection,
so I cannot use the Internet until I reboot the computer or reset the
network card (or ipconfig /release / renew).

I can see the following entry in the system log every time this happens:

---
Event Details
Product:
Windows Operating System

ID:
1003

Source:
Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Client

Version:
6.0

Symbolic Name:
EVENT_FAILED_TO_RENEW

Message:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the
DHCP server) for the network adapter with MAC address ###. The following
error occurred:
###. Your computer will continue trying to obtain an address on its own
from the DHCP server.
---

What should I do in order to solve this problem? I've tried many things
like disabling the power management for the network card or resetting the
Windows Firewall but none of them worked.

Have you tried just giving your NIC a fixed IP address? Works for my
computers, but then I never let my machines go to sleep. They're either on
or off. No sleep or hibernation for my machines.

  • Re: Renewing IP Address
    ... Sorry to hear that as a laptop is harder to fix within this issue. ... network card, unplug the power cord, then replug. ... reboot and all is well. ... > 255.255.0.0 and the ipconfig /renew command will not renew. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • =?Utf-8?Q?Event_ID_1003_=E2=80=94_DHCP_Client_Leas?= =?Utf-8?Q?e_Validity?=
    ... Almost every time I wake up my MS Vista desktop computer from the sleep mode I get a "Local Only" connection, so I cannot use the Internet until I reboot the computer or reset the network card (or ipconfig /release / renew). ... Windows Operating System ... Your computer will continue trying to obtain an address on its own from the DHCP server. ...
  • tcp/ip issues post xp sp2 install
    ... after installing a new copy of xp home with sp2, my network card won't work. ... using the command prompt, i can't renew the ip address, as it comes up as an ... and on the other machines it is hybrid. ...
  • Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters for the Ne
    ... At boot up time, am getting this message 'Your computer ... for the Network Card with the network address'. ... but does not use the gateway default. ... When I do a RENEW, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Sleep
    ... the PC went to sleep and wouldn't wake up, except that I shut it down and ... If disabling the network card solved it, then you know where to look. ... Vista made a lot of changes in the network management ...