Re: Newbie Network Help

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Doomed Soul
<vnkn0wn2u@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have 2 computers,1printer, xbox360,and ps2. Comp1 running vista and
comp2 running winxp sp3. I also have a 5 port ethernet hub. Last week
I switched from DSL to Cable 20mb. With the dsl router all I had to do
to allow both machines on line at same time was to just hook them up
to the hub. No modifications needed. My problem is that the new cable
modem (motorola) will only allow One machine on at a time. To switch
machines I must reset the modem and re asign ip each time I switch

My ultimate goal in the end is to have all 4 machines be able to
access the internet and each other. Can I accomplish this with the 5
port HUB, or do I need to buy a router. (wireless is out of the

What would be my best solution?

Yes, buy a router. A hub can't do what you want.

Steve: I suspect he has a switch instead of a router, but your comment remains the same - buy a router. There are some nice ones that even have a hardware firewall.