Re: Newbie Network Help

--->
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Doomed Soul
<vnkn0wn2u@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have 2 computers,1printer, xbox360,and ps2. Comp1 running vista and
comp2 running winxp sp3. I also have a 5 port ethernet hub. Last week
I switched from DSL to Cable 20mb. With the dsl router all I had to do
to allow both machines on line at same time was to just hook them up
to the hub. No modifications needed. My problem is that the new cable
modem (motorola) will only allow One machine on at a time. To switch
machines I must reset the modem and re asign ip each time I switch
machines.

My ultimate goal in the end is to have all 4 machines be able to
access the internet and each other. Can I accomplish this with the 5
port HUB, or do I need to buy a router. (wireless is out of the
question).

What would be my best solution?

TIA
DS

Yes, buy a router. A hub can't do what you want.

Steve: I suspect he has a switch instead of a router, but your comment remains the same - buy a router. There are some nice ones that even have a hardware firewall.

Questor

  • Re: Digital switch over query
    ... > ethernet switch(ing hub). ... a box is a hub or a box is a switch and there is a difference between ... SoHo router to gigabit speed when the benefit would ... after waiting a couple of hours for the first test install to ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: OT: Questions about routers, switches, hubs, etc.
    ... An Ethernet hub, active hub, network hub, repeater hub or hub is a ... devices together and making them act as a single network segment. ... A standard 10/100 Ethernet switch operates ... A router is an electronic device that interconnects two or more ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Security degradation if Local LAN?
    ... LinkSys DSL router, act as hub? ... in 4 port 10/100 switch. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: CAT5E Patch lead
    ... >> Or the wrong router. ... >> add a hub or switch. ... >> built-in switch might be the best bet. ... > for around 3 years which was superceeded by a dlink modem. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • RE: Setting up a Proxy Server..
    ... Setting up a Proxy Server.. ... you need to put a hub between the switch and router, ...
    (Security-Basics)