Re: Sharing Vista Folders

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 00:23:26 -0400, "jaygreg" <jaygreg90@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I attempted to share the "Documents" folder on my new Vista machine but am
apparently doing something wrong. When I check the folders shared, it's
listed. But when I check "My Network Places" on the Windows XP" machine on
my LAN, all I see is "Users on Xps435mt" (the name of the computer is
"Xps435mt"). I've created a target folder under "Documents" into which I
want to place a backup copy of a Quicken file that's on the XP machine. Can
anyone give me a clue as to what I've done wrong?

I don't think you've done anything wrong. You've run into what I
consider a bug in Windows Vista. This should fix it:

First, un-share the Users folder:

1. Open the C: disk.
2. Right-click the Users folder.
3. Click Properties (not Share).
4. Click Sharing.
5. Click Advanced Sharing.
6. Un-check "Share this folder".
7. Click OK.
8. Click Close.

Then, share the desired desktop folder:

9. Right-click the folder.
10. Click Properties (not Share).
11. Click Sharing.
12. Click Advanced Sharing.
13. Check "Share this folder".
14. Click OK.
15. Click Close.
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)