Re: Sharing Vista Folders

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 00:23:26 -0400, "jaygreg" <jaygreg90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I attempted to share the "Documents" folder on my new Vista machine but am
apparently doing something wrong. When I check the folders shared, it's
listed. But when I check "My Network Places" on the Windows XP" machine on
my LAN, all I see is "Users on Xps435mt" (the name of the computer is
"Xps435mt"). I've created a target folder under "Documents" into which I
want to place a backup copy of a Quicken file that's on the XP machine. Can
anyone give me a clue as to what I've done wrong?

I don't think you've done anything wrong. You've run into what I
consider a bug in Windows Vista. This should fix it:

First, un-share the Users folder:

1. Open the C: disk.
2. Right-click the Users folder.
3. Click Properties (not Share).
4. Click Sharing.
5. Click Advanced Sharing.
6. Un-check "Share this folder".
7. Click OK.
8. Click Close.

Then, share the desired desktop folder:

9. Right-click the folder.
10. Click Properties (not Share).
11. Click Sharing.
12. Click Advanced Sharing.
13. Check "Share this folder".
14. Click OK.
15. Click Close.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Sharing Vista Folders
    ... But when I check "My Network Places" on the Windows XP" machine on ... Right-click the Users folder. ... Click Advanced Sharing. ... I bought the Vista machine in late March but it wasn't functional until ...
  • Re: Sharing Vista Folders
    ... Perhaps the "Users" folder will disappear when I reboot. ... May (Vista problems after changing the hard drive twice with the 2nd one ... Would you happen to have any suggestion for in getting Windows 7 from Dell? ... Click Advanced Sharing. ...
  • Re: recover compacted folders
    ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, ... , then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: Lost Emails Information During "Compacting" of Folders
    ... , then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be ... Options | Maintenance for each Identity you have, and then compact manually ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ...
  • Re: downloading messages