Re: Sharing Vista Folders

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 00:23:26 -0400, "jaygreg" <jaygreg90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I attempted to share the "Documents" folder on my new Vista machine but am
apparently doing something wrong. When I check the folders shared, it's
listed. But when I check "My Network Places" on the Windows XP" machine on
my LAN, all I see is "Users on Xps435mt" (the name of the computer is
"Xps435mt"). I've created a target folder under "Documents" into which I
want to place a backup copy of a Quicken file that's on the XP machine. Can
anyone give me a clue as to what I've done wrong?

I don't think you've done anything wrong. You've run into what I
consider a bug in Windows Vista. This should fix it:

First, un-share the Users folder:

1. Open the C: disk.
2. Right-click the Users folder.
3. Click Properties (not Share).
4. Click Sharing.
5. Click Advanced Sharing.
6. Un-check "Share this folder".
7. Click OK.
8. Click Close.

Then, share the desired desktop folder:

9. Right-click the folder.
10. Click Properties (not Share).
11. Click Sharing.
12. Click Advanced Sharing.
13. Check "Share this folder".
14. Click OK.
15. Click Close.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Sharing Vista Folders
    ... But when I check "My Network Places" on the Windows XP" machine on ... Right-click the Users folder. ... Click Advanced Sharing. ... I bought the Vista machine in late March but it wasn't functional until ...
  • Re: Sharing Vista Folders
    ... Perhaps the "Users" folder will disappear when I reboot. ... May (Vista problems after changing the hard drive twice with the 2nd one ... Would you happen to have any suggestion for in getting Windows 7 from Dell? ... Click Advanced Sharing. ...
  • Re: recover compacted folders
    ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, ... , then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: Recovering messages failed!!
    ... Importing Outlook Express 6 messages from storage folder comes up with the ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: Two Folders missing from Local Folders on OE
    ... The other folder that is missing does not have this. ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...