Re: Problem connecting to xp server

Hi
Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goodBEan" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:d9e81805414cfa9026ab1c4b2710b9a8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This may not be a vista problem but I think you guys might be able to
help.

At home I have a file server ( Its named Bigred)running windows xp pro.
I am using simple file sharing on the network. Its not on a domain its
on a workgroup. The only software I have running on it is tversity and
utorrent. On my vista machine or any other computer, I cannot connect to
\\bigred\ through explorer, but if I add in a share name \\bigred\photos
it works just fine. What the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

Windows xp was just installed today with all updates.

--
goodBEan

  • Re: Turn off all sharing and network discovery
    ... which is basically Windows XP running as a virtual ... It does need its own AV and firewall. ... unnecessary network resource sharing and resource discovery. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Turn off all sharing and network discovery
    ... which is basically Windows XP running as a virtual ... It does need its own AV and firewall. ... unnecessary network resource sharing and resource discovery. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... >> tested on port 445. ... >> I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... >investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with ... >windows and everything else. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)