Re: Problem connecting to xp server

Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
General example,
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -;en-us;304040;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing XP -
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goodBEan" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:d9e81805414cfa9026ab1c4b2710b9a8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This may not be a vista problem but I think you guys might be able to

At home I have a file server ( Its named Bigred)running windows xp pro.
I am using simple file sharing on the network. Its not on a domain its
on a workgroup. The only software I have running on it is tversity and
utorrent. On my vista machine or any other computer, I cannot connect to
\\bigred\ through explorer, but if I add in a share name \\bigred\photos
it works just fine. What the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

Windows xp was just installed today with all updates.