Re: Problem connecting to xp server

Hi
Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goodBEan" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:d9e81805414cfa9026ab1c4b2710b9a8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This may not be a vista problem but I think you guys might be able to
help.

At home I have a file server ( Its named Bigred)running windows xp pro.
I am using simple file sharing on the network. Its not on a domain its
on a workgroup. The only software I have running on it is tversity and
utorrent. On my vista machine or any other computer, I cannot connect to
\\bigred\ through explorer, but if I add in a share name \\bigred\photos
it works just fine. What the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

Windows xp was just installed today with all updates.

--
goodBEan

.