Re: share printer help needed

Not too sensitive at 69 years <G>. But did follow your instructions as I understood true names and found xp with Administrator, All Users, Default User and Owner while Vista had Public and Vista choices.. So I decided to do <It is common for users to rename the generic user account they started out
with (i.e., rename Computer Administrator to Dick) instead of creating a
new user account as they should.> I guess I thought this was an option not realizing you told me renaming an account didn't work in some previous email.

Anyway, being retired with only time and pride available, the $100+ to come out seems expensive.

I guess my last querry:
Any feelings on letting it be done remotely (considerably cheaper supposedly)??

Thanks, Dick

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ey6VJfY%23JHA.2824@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dick wrote:

I changed both computers "Administrator" to "Dick". Do I still need to add
xp and vista users to the other?? If so, exactly what do I type that makes
it different from the two "Dicks"??

Either you are not understanding me or I'm not understanding you, or a
combination of both.

I asked you to type what users you see in C:\Users on Vista and C:\Documents
and Settings on XP. You didn't do this.

What do you mean you "changed both computers [sic] Administrator to Dick"?
How? By just renaming the accounts in Control Panel>User Accounts? I
already told you simply renaming an account doesn't work.

I'm truly not saying this to hurt your feelings but I think from a
practical, more efficient standpoint you would really be better served to
have a competent local computer tech come on-site and set you up (not from
a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place). Setting up file/printer
sharing between two computers takes approximately 5 minutes (not counting
installing printer drivers) and someone who can have hands-on the machine
is going to get you going very quickly. When you watch him/her, the
concepts will become immediately apparent.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you.

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Need to understand permissions and ownership
    ... I am the only user and have only one administrator account with my name. ... There are also some other folders such as: ... The vista help files are so fragmented and confusing that they are ...
  • Re: Need to understand permissions and ownership
    ... I am the only user and have only one administrator account with my name. ... There are also some other folders such as: ... The vista help files are so fragmented and confusing that they are ...
  • Re: Installation problem - non-admin users
    ... I guess I am facing an administrative privileges issue with Vista. ... Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator. ... The user is going to be asked to give a user-id and psw to an user/admin account. ... The user account for the non-user admin in not an account that has full rights on System32. ...
  • Re: whats the difference between account NAMED administror and a account with admin privilegious?
    ... The link has a lot of information and directions on sharing in Vista. ... Using the Vista Administrator account does give you greater access while ... I was hoping that being the 'administrator' would cure that problem. ... When logging in....I should select 'admin' ...
  • Re: Windows Vista, Outlook 2k7 and RPC over HTTP
    ... it had nothing to do with running IE as administrator. ... matter what his account name is. ... Vista does not even enable the administrator account, ... Go to the web site and install the certificate to the Trusted ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)