networking problem between vista and xp machines

Is this the right group? Please let me know if I should be posting
elsewhere.

My friend has four machines:
- deskop (xp sp2)
- laptop1 (xp sp2)
- laptop2 (vista home)
- posTerm (xp sp2)

Booting normally, I can issue "ping laptop2" on the xp machines. they
translate that to the correct IP address for laptop2, but all packets
are lost. Windows Explorer can map a drive to \\laptop2\c$\, but I
cannot browse any of the machines in the workgroup. Laptop2 resolves
IP addresses correctly, but cannot ping nor map to the xp machines.

Booting to Safe Mode With Networking, I ping commands resolve the
correct IP address but only pings between xp machines work -- pinging
the vista box fails, pinging FROM the vista box fails. When in Safe
Mode With Networking, going through Windows Explorer I am able to
browse the other machines in the workgroup and can see the C or C$
share.

I have reset the router and that works (also resolved an odd DNS
setting while doing so). The router is DHCP host, appears to be
working fine. All machines can connect to the internet without
issue. All machines have Hamachi and VNC installed -- I can dial in
remotely without issue. All machines can see MY machine across the
Hamachi VPN.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks;
Duncan

  • Now pinging isnt ever right XP to Vista
    ... I have XP machines on a home network where all the networking is OK. ... having such a variety of problems with the Vista on the network though. ... they can ping back and forth and can ping my Vista at ...
  • Getting Terminal Services to work
    ... I'm integrating my new Vista 64 bit computer into my home network with XP pro computers on it. ... From the XP computers pings were right and the ping looked like this ... Should I do it from the Vista machine or the XP machines or all machines? ...
  • Re: Getting Terminal Services to work
    ... posting the results of ipconfig /all on both computers may help. ... And remote desktop from the Vista to the XP computers did not work by name only by IP address. ... From the XP computers pings were right and the ping looked like this ... Should I do it from the Vista machine or the XP machines or all machines? ...
  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Is a Windows 98se computer more, or less, of a security threat with IE 5.5 (unused) & Firefo
    ... XP Pro is supported until sometime in 2014 (the exact date depends on the ... release date of Vista which is scheduled for Jan/Feb 2007). ... Soon all OEMs will follow Gateway and no longer provide machines without ... and i'm aware that Win98 doesn't have real security like NT ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)