Re: Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine

Old man trying to move into 21st century needs some help. Not proud to say I recently got my new laptop with Vista, old desktop with XP and new wireless router providing access to the Internet after only 6 hours<G>.

Anyway now I'm not sure how to ask for specific help buut would like:1) to use old printer
from laptop, 2) access email folders and 3) share files.

I setup a temporary computer to computer network in the Vista laptop but got lost trying to do similar to old XP computer. Maybe a little detail on accessing the printer will help me learn what I'm doing...

Thanks, Dick

"SlewpJB" <SlewpJB.3tdr3c@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:SlewpJB.3tdr3c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many thanks to Marst194 and a heads up to fellow microsoft printer
victims: This fix really works, first time I have been able to access my
printer! Like the man says, just try it! (For average folk, you may also
need to know that you can find your IP address by typing ipconfig in the
Command Prompt window, and the name of the printer is NOT the share name
you gave it in the XP share dialogue, it is the simple machine name
(e.g. HP LaserJet 4). Thanks again!

--
SlewpJB
SlewpJB's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/103870.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Quest VMCL. OK
    ... "Designed for Vista Premium" logo, and also described as "Media Center ... "Media Center Laptops" might all come with built in Hybrid Analogue/Digital ... for a laptop with Media Center functionality. ... No I did not upgrade my sisters laptop with those hardware drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Boot and general performance
    ... Checked out what is starting up and uninstalled any program that I no longer used and adjusted ones I still use to only load what they need when I actually click on them to start. ... I also stand the laptop on a cake stand so that air flow under and around it is maximised. ... so I tried to use SFC /SCANBOOT as I used to on XP but that option doesn't exist for SFC under Vista so I cant reboot and have a windows OS file scan be performed when no file is locked. ... Not daunted I thought about "repair install" which *CAN* be done on my desktop Vista Business if needed with the DVD there but the laptop came with Vista Ultimate 64 bit already installed and with a restore partition on it, no disk, as usual and I cannot actually DO a repair install because of that. ...
  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... so many problems with the display drivers that HP has decided I have a faulty card and is now sending me a brand new laptop to the exact same specs. ... My thought on it is that since I am still going to be getting the Vista OS and the same Nvidia video card, that the problems will still be there. ... Just because the first laptop had defective hardware components or corrupted drivers, this is no indication that the replacement laptop will have the same problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista Not Playing Nice - Sharing Files
    ... The Computer Browser service is running on both the desktop and the laptop. ... On the "Show Me All the Files and Folders I am Sharing" link in the Network ... Vista to Vista shouldn't be an issue. ... Vista Permission Issues ...
  • Re: trying to put XP on a new Gateway laptop
    ... for daring to post the truth that not all software runs on vista 64. ... XP boot CD. ... Put original hard drive from the laptop into enclosure. ... To access the SATA hard drive with the XP install CD, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)