Re: Unreliable Connection

Hi
Network card is a generic term that covers all kind of them.
You can take a look at the Wireless preferred list and see if there is some setting that discriminates against you SSID.
Otherwise, since it is detecting well other Wireless sources then it is Not the computer or the OS either.
Thus there is a mismatch between your Wireless card (Card being USB in your case ;) ).
I do not know what you have for a Wireless Router, but usually the USB Wireless are the weak link.
YMMV.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Endulini" <Endulini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1D0BA610-098B-44C6-B64B-9DF038806AC5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O%23H4oRf8JHA.4608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi
It could be under performing, unstable Wireless Card.
I would try to install this.
PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315041
Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
PCI cards usually do better in a Desktop environment.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Endulini" <Endulini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:66D8FE1A-A5C0-4DF7-A00F-53D9444AB1F2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network, sometimes it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few days. It's picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem to be an inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the router as my laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC, so it wouldn't seem to be interference either). As it's an external USB adapter (Belkin) set-up on the PC, I've tried reinstalling the adapter and drivers etc but that is no guarantee of success either.

I'm getting a bit fed up, anyone have any suggestions about what the issue might be?

Cheers,

Thanks, I don't want to quibble but a) it's not a card but an external USB wireless adapter, b) Why is it detecting every other network other than mine if it's not working properly?

  • Group Policy loading
    ... it seems to be a problem with XP, not the Dell drivers): ... connecting to a Buffalo WLA-G54 Wireless Access Point. ... logon') option to make Windows XP wait for the network to ... file to match that of the Dell TrueMobile card. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: WAP54Gs with WPA not handing out IPs from SBS2003 server
    ... Do you have enough IP addresses in the DHCP pool on the DHCP server? ... There's not even 50 machines total on the network. ... I'll assume you're running Windoze XP Home using Wireless Zero Config ... With the PCMCIA card, it's the WZC software. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Can Anyone Explain the over-all view of Wireless Networking?
    ... Hardware support is required for the network card. ... Associating the card with the wireless AP - done with 'iwconfig', ... wlan0 Scan completed: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: error restarts intermittently
    ... The computer has a linksys wmp54g (wireless lan) installed. ... card is not detected. ... it will install the network monitor too. ...