Re: VPN from home router?

I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able to use a VPN. If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then I would have access to the NET via my home ISP. I guess the router would be acting as a server. Do they make such a thing?

Eh?
If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you then want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just change the smtp server settings....
.
Because connecting via Open Wi-Fi is insecure.

Insecure for what? If you have proper security on your laptop and don't run as admin and have a good password and don't have any shared folders I can't see a problem...
..
What do you mean by proper security on a laptop? I understand the value of strong passwords and Limited User Accounts, but what does that have to do with transmitting data over open Wi-Fi?

  • Re: VPN Router Setup Question
    ... > The term "configuring a pinhole" with a Netopia router looks like it's the ... > Then go into your router and "configure a pinhole" to forward all VPN ... >> having your server 'directly' connected to the internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Setting up Windows VPN
    ... if it works, focus on the router. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on ... > Thanks if anyone can help me to set up a home VPN network trough Internet ... The desktop is connected to LAN port, ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
  • Re: VPN from home router?
    ... be able to use a VPN. ... router would be acting as a server. ... If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would ... Because connecting via Open Wi-Fi is insecure. ...
  • Re: Remote SiteB to VPN over internet to SiteA AND Browse internet
    ... You use the DSL router as the gateway for the local LAN and redirect ... forward the VPN traffic from the router to the RRAS server. ... system using virtual machines which only rarely needs Internet access. ...
  • Re: Connecting a Public Network PC (Library) to a Private Network
    ... a second PC with VPN would only allow me to ... wouldn't I need to port-forward through the modem firewall to the ... router, as the router is not seen by the internet? ...