Re: VPN from home router?

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uTT$6nK8JHA.1740@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Victek wrote:

.
I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to
connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be
able to use a VPN. If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then
I would have access to the NET via my home ISP. I guess the router
would be acting as a server. Do they make such a thing?

Eh?
If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you
then want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just
change the smtp server settings....

Seems like the OP doesn't trust the security of the hotspot connection
and wants to be able to keep others from being able to listen in on
his internet traffic. Can't say I blame him.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

  • Re: VPN from home router?
    ... connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able to use a VPN. ... If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you then want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet? ...
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... The SBS DNS server, running on ... its IP it means that your problem is now DNS. ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... Both NICs should point to his internal IP for DNS. ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... First Page of the Internet Connection Wizard, ... Next I Select a local router device with an ip address. ... You should give your SBS a fixed external address so you can forward ports ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot simultaneously share DSL connection
    ... In order to be able to use Internet with both computers at the same time the ... Router has to be the authentication device. ... The Linksys Router provides on the CD an extended manual that would explain ... happens when we try to share the internet connection. ...