Re: I don't get "Vista"

Hi
The Drivers are the same Drivers (corresponding to the OS). They are installed in the regular way on the computers that the Printers are connected to.
However when the Drivers are installed on a computer that the Printer is No connected to, they have to be installed as a Drivers for Networked computer.
Wire or wireless should Not make any difference.
Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u3mLj$t6JHA.3592@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Jack-MVP" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O%23kL3gt6JHA.4632@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi
Would you please be more specific, are the two printers connected to computers?
Hardwire to the Network means a Network printer and Not a printer Off a computer.

Errr. Both are connected via USB cable to desktop computer (where the printer is setup as a share). Once computer uses a wireless card to connect to the wireless router, the other comes in via switched patch cable to same piece of hardware; a wireless router.

make sure that any computer that suppose to be able to use the printer has the drivers for this printer configured to work over the network.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was under the assumption, perhaps now incorrectly, that there was no difference between networked printer drivers and local printer drivers. In any event, it's a Canon Pixma and I can't reccommend it highly enough for general printing. The Ink carts (on ebay - work fine) are about a buck a piece.

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23vCBlqs6JHA.5780@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alright, that's a little vague.

Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running Vista that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The one it *can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot* isn't. But, that's not the problem.

The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect or run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.

1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even though it's not)
2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the printer (didn't work)

I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to it? Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings? It's an effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.

Mr. Curious

.