Re: Group Policy to Enable Remote Access to Admin Shares

"Mark Olbert" <ChairmanMAO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Some time ago -- back when WinXP SP2 came out -- I had to
reconfigure the machines on my LAN to allow for remote access to
their
admin shares. By "remote" I mean "from a different computer in the
same subnet", not from the wilds of the internet :).

I did this by enabling or disabling something in group policy. But
I've lost my notes, and I don't remember how to do it
anymore...which is a problem because I just added a new machine to
the network.

Does anyone know what the policy tweak is to enable access to admin
shares from another computer? BTW, these machines are all part
of a domain, in case that makes a difference on where I do the
tweak.

I never did it through group policies, but the registry setting is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\
Add DWORD Value LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1

Hope this helps.

--
Zaphod

Arthur Dent, speaking to Trillian about Zaphod:
"So, two heads is what does it for a girl?"
"...Anything else he's got two of?"

  • Re: Secure Remote access - windows 2003
    ... I'd say that the thread should be titled "Remote access" as there are many that would debate the "Secure" part of it given the fact that it's the DC you are doing this on. ... Providing Internet TS access and file services to a domain controller is asking for an opportunity to "seek new challenges" in most companies. ... is there any additional IPSEC/L2TP config to be done other than you have explicitly mentioned in the link? ... My requirement is only for known machines to connect - not cybercafes..so this suits me. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Secure Remote access - windows 2003
    ... PSK won't give you the "only known machines" aspect you asked for. ... Secure Remote access - windows 2003 ... is there any additional IPSEC/L2TP config to be done other than you have explicitly mentioned in the link? ... My requirement is only for known machines to connect - not cybercafes..so this suits me. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: How can all computers on my home network access outlook files
    ... Without installing on all the machines. ... running the Outlook Web Access. ... Or some type of remote access like www.realvnc.com or XP Pro's Remote ... >I am wondering the same thing could someone offer me some advice please or ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • RE: Ping of Dead on LAN
    ... I changed those settings in the GP that would apply to those machines and am ... >>The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FAT32 and NTFS question, considering upgrading from win98se
    ... > and remote access to each one using Timbuktu software. ... > I have limited experience with win2k, a friend runs it and I do ... > troubleshooting for them occasionally, but all her machines are NTFS, ... > I will most likely do a clean install rather than an upgrade, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)