Re: How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:07:54 -0400, "Tae Song" <tae_song@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

All thhree Windows OS support Windows networking, which is simply NetBIOS
over TCP/IP.

I have a Windows 98 machine up and running on a network of Windows XP and
Vista.

I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows XP

I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows Vista.

I can see and connect to Windows XP (Home or Pro) machines and access shares
from Windows 98.

I can see, but NOT connect to Windows Vista from Windows 98.

I can only conclude that Microsoft simply put in code specifically to reject
connections from Windows 98 to Vista.

I agree that it looks that way. But I don't think that Vista looks at
connection requests, checks for Windows 98, and intentionally rejects
them.

Rightly or wrongly, Microsoft decided that networking compatibility
with Windows 95/98/Me wasn't required in Vista.

Those Windows versions don't have the necessary code to interface with
Vista's networking and security models. That code is in the versions
derived from Windows NT: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Vista Ready for the big time? From Yahoo News
    ... Networking: Vista networking is a sore spot with a number of Microsoft's ... "The network panel is a nightmare if you attempt to do anything mildly ... Fla.-based PlanetX64/PlanetAMD64 Windows community sites. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • APPLE-SA-2012-05-15-1 QuickTime 7.7.2
    ... Windows 7, Vista, XP SP2 or later ... Viewing a maliciously crafted movie file may lead to an ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: List of Applications Not Compatible with Leopard
    ... If there is an equal on Windows I truly would love to know about ... program on the Plasq frontpage was clearly taken on Vista. ... the product is on both Windows and Mac. ... hardware than Vista works on PC hardware is hardly "silly". ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: TOT: Windows 8.1 issue
    ... It's this annoyance feature of winXP above all else that leads me to ... from windows). ... If you hit networking issues in ME, in most cases, the strategy of ... The later SP1 cured Vista of most of its ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)