Re: communication not available

the network seems to be fine just the printer will not communicate with the
computer after i log out and back in

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

Hi
I have numerous amount of Wireless settings with both Vista and XP, and I do
not see this behaviors when every thing is configured correctly.
Unless a person is use an old Router that is Not fully compatible with Vista
this should not happen.
In such a case, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
"trouble", you have to check the status of the Network when this happens.
I.a. it might be that laptop disconnect from the Router's Wireless
connection and thus No sharing any more.
Some Laptops experience disconnection due to the Power Saving setting of the
Laptop' Wireless cards. Try to disable the Wireless card's Power Saving.
In general, make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows
free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"trouble" <fac_187@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Unstable network sharing is usually more of a problem when peripherals or
drives are on the Vista machine. I have sadly seen many Vista
installations where file and peripheral sharing one day stops working
although no sharing/permissions settings have changed.
What may be happening is that your Vista wireless is not connecting
properly to the router, also a too common issue in my experience.
Although other Vista and XP wireless machines may have stable wireless
connections to the router some Vista units periodically cannot connect
without resetting the router. I do not know if the blame lies with Vista
or the wireless hardware/driver in the computer.
Presumably you have rechecked the XP settings for the printer and they are
correct?
Try resetting the router (unplug/replug the power) and reboot your Vista
machine. If it connects stably to the network (you can share files with
the XP machine) but you still cannot share the printer then delete and
reinstall the share on the XP machine.
Hopefully you will re-establish printer sharing. However it is a sad fact
of Vista life that for many users the sharing will not last . . .

  • Re: How to share user folder without password?
    ... guide in that link try sharing something other than ... Vista sets permissions for these directories ... As for Malke, I have to disagree. ... - Any person that wants to share files with other network systems ...
  • Re: Cannot connect via wireless
    ... Insert the removable media device into the XP or Vista computer you want to add to your wireless network. ... it does not seem to work either way you input the settings. ...
  • Re: Cannot connect via wireless
    ... Insert the removable media device into the XP or Vista computer you want to add to your wireless network. ... it does not seem to work either way you input the settings. ...
  • Re: Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.
    ... Why would multiple wireless XP machines be able to see INTO both the Vista ... Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network ... Some computers are wired and some computers are connected via the AP / ...
  • RE: resetting security permissions not working
    ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... Configuration of attachment engines was completed successfully. ...