Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have read about how MacAffee and
Norton have software firewalls that can interfere with networking. I'm
running AVG Free and as far as I know it doesn't have a software
firewall. The windows firewall is on on both machines.

--
TheIntruder

  • Re: Neither, buy a router.
    ... I don't use a "personal firewall" myself, ... personal firewalls with their routers, and it is not just a marketing ploy. ... > 1) Software firewalls utilize CPU cycles on the machine they run on. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Recurrent question
    ... The windows firewall comes with it's own set of problems. ... think Microsoft's security reputation speaks for itself. ... Logs may be sorted by source IP, source port, ... "Software Firewalls versus Wormhole Tunnels ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: XP Firewall will not enable at system boot
    ... I have WF turned off because I've given McAfee control of the firewall. ... wise to have two software firewalls, although it is OK to have a hardware FW ... >I have Norton Internet Security Personal Firewall, disabled, but Norton ...
  • Re: Zone Alarm & Wireless Access Point Security
    ... could get thru a software firewall as they are more prone to bugs and ... I have a NAT router too which will pass the Gibson Research Shields ... My system is not overloaded with security software. ... But I also found just as many people writing that software firewalls, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: MS04-011 LSASS virus
    ... > never said you need a hostbased software firewall. ... "Windows Firewall" won't open any dialog boxes and thus can't be tampered by ... completely sufficient against inbound "attacks". ... Such DoS attacks against software firewalls on home PCs are rare. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)