Re: communication not available

Unstable network sharing is usually more of a problem when peripherals or drives are on the Vista machine. I have sadly seen many Vista installations where file and peripheral sharing one day stops working although no sharing/permissions settings have changed.
What may be happening is that your Vista wireless is not connecting properly to the router, also a too common issue in my experience.
Although other Vista and XP wireless machines may have stable wireless connections to the router some Vista units periodically cannot connect without resetting the router. I do not know if the blame lies with Vista or the wireless hardware/driver in the computer.
Presumably you have rechecked the XP settings for the printer and they are correct?
Try resetting the router (unplug/replug the power) and reboot your Vista machine. If it connects stably to the network (you can share files with the XP machine) but you still cannot share the printer then delete and reinstall the share on the XP machine.
Hopefully you will re-establish printer sharing. However it is a sad fact of Vista life that for many users the sharing will not last . . .

  • Re: wireless homenetwork connection error
    ... router does not connect to a DNS, ... directly into my (vista ultimate based) computer, ... share the connecttion wireless into the rest of my house. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS
    ... Most Router manufacturer offer a firmware upgrade to make their Router compatible with new major OS' when they come out. ... Management on your desktops/laptops ensure the Wireless (and USB if USB ... with Vista; so Ill make this Post Short and Sweet. ... > If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other ...
  • RE: FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS
    ... it is incredibly wasteful if we all had to go out and buy a new router simply ... the Vista stack and put the XP one in in it's place....don't try ... Management on your desktops/laptops ensure the Wireless (and USB if USB ... router in your Wireless Access Point probably is NOT compatible with Vista... ...
  • Re: FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS
    ... As I said before if my router worked with XP (and Mac's and Itouch and other ... UPnP servers) and struggles with ONLY Vista then it is unrealistic to expect ... Management on your desktops/laptops ensure the Wireless (and USB if USB ... If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other ...
  • Re: communication not available
    ... I have numerous amount of Wireless settings with both Vista and XP, ... Unless a person is use an old Router that is Not fully compatible with Vista ... you have to check the status of the Network when this happens. ... connection and thus No sharing any more. ...