Re: printer sharing in Vista

Thank You. This is exactly what I needed. I give 'er a try on Thursday when I have the machine built and delivered.

...Chip..

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eL5khnH2JHA.3476@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chip Shapiro wrote:

I am going to be setting up a home network with two Vista computer. I
know that each machine should have the same user account to make this
easier.

Question. Does the same user account have to be logged on to both
machines, or can the machine without the printer be logged on with another
name as long as the same user account exists on both machines?

No to the first part, yes to the second.

More detail:

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: How to disable ctrl-alt-del in a screen saver application
    ... Windows machines, the problem can be easily solved without you writing any ... each company user should have a domain user account. ... Each user in the SQL Server database is a domain user (or should ...
  • Vista shared file visibility from XP machine, the sequel
    ... I set up both machines with identical accounts, passwords, and types on both ... folder is the C:\users\user_name folder for one of the users (I want to back ... all admin accounts and the owner user account can access the folder ... Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. ...
  • Re: Remotely changing admin group membership on clients
    ... membership of the group and set it to what you want. ... This will add the specific group but will only work when the machines are ... > workstations in the domain. ... > method to be able to place a domain user account or global group in the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
    ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. ... Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the ...
  • Re: XP: Cool feature with a weakness
    ... All Windows machines don't use the same video card. ... And yet Steve *still* is claiming I disagreed with this! ... As can they alter settings on a Mac. ... When you log out of an OS X user account, what screen, specifically, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)