Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately before I saw your post I solved the problem by reverting back
to SP1 on the Vista PCs. Since I reverted by restoring the drive images I
made before installing SP2, I can't go back and check the event log.

I think I can probably stay on SP1 until Windows 7 and avoid the issue
entirely.

John

"Abdul69" wrote:

On the *Vista* machine you are trying to connect to (from the XP machine)
check the Event Log for System Error 2017.

"The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations."

If you see this error a number of times and the time-stamp coincides with
the time you were trying to access shared resources from the XP machine I
may be able to help you. I had this problem before with an XP client (the
rest of my home network is a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit Vista) accessing
resources shared on a Vista machine and the problem only manifested on the
XP client. From memory it was the same message as you are getting.

If it is what I think it might be, it's not SP2 that is the cause, although
I haven't tried accessing any Vista machines with SP2 from XP as yet. I only
have SP2 on one Vista machine so far.

Wayne.
.