Network discovery turns off after reboot (sometimes).

I have a home network with a Belkin wirless router / ADSL modem which three client machines connect to wirelessly (kid's, wife's and my work PC). In addition to my main work PC I have a secondary PC I also use for work that I have set up so that it is connected to the wireless network via my main PC.

So the setup is:

Router --> Air waves --> Kid's XP machine, Wif'e's Vista machine.
Router ---> Air waves ---> Main Vista (32-bit) desktop --> Wired connection (10/100 switch) --> Secondary Vista (64-bit) desktop.

The way I have the connection configured on my 32-bit Vista desktop setup is:

Wireless Network Connection - static IP (10.21.119.101 / 255.255.255.0)
Local Area Connection - static IP (10.21.119.102 / 255.255.255.0)

Then I have the above two connections bridged using a Network bridge with IP 10.21.119.2. All machines on the wireless network see the main 32-it Vista machine as 10.21.119.2, as I want.

Everything works great under this set up. I can ping each and every machine from every location on the network, internet access works, file sharing works (and I get the wired speeds between my two local machines) and life is generally grand.

One problem, however, and it's just an annoyance, but maybe one for which there is an easy solution, and that is that the 64-bit Vista machine seems to perodically turn off network discovery. I use a keyboard/mouse sharing program and usually log in to the 64-bit machine with my common keyboard/mouse, but every now and then I can't do that because the connection fails. When that happens I have to log into the 64-bit machine (plug in a keyboard and mouse) and RE-enable network discovery. After that everything is great again, until a couple of weeks later and about 5 or 6 restarts it happens again.

Does anyone know why the 64-bit machine keeps turning off network discovery periodically? The only additional piece of information I have, seeing this just happened is that under the Network and Sharing Center on the 64-bit machine, the local network is shown as "Unidentified network" and when I select "Merge or delete network locations" it shows the previous network location(s) as "Not in use". So it seems to be that it forgets that it already knows about the network... Frustrating but since it's not that often that it happens and not that often that I reboot, I've just been living with it, but a solution would be nice!

Any suggestions?

Wayne.

  • RE: Multiple Connection Attempts to Home Wireless Network
    ... make connection attempts to any available wireless, ... Subject: Re: Multiple Connection Attempts to Home Wireless Network ... >Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linksys WRT54G acts like a dumb hub, no DHCP or wireless capabilities
    ... laptop and the PC would lose connection with the router. ... Well, the results are the same: I can connect to the wireless network, ... but after about 10 minutes I will lose connection with the router. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Lan Wifi Network
    ... >knowledge of computer network... ... a wireless user has gone away. ... client software to do the job. ... connection which can be timed. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Wireless network, Bluetooth, and Home Networking
    ... notebook PC, together with a wireless network between the same ... connection to the PC, or loose the network connection PC to ... Your easiest bet is to purchase a wireless router - ...
  • Re: Activesync Kills Wireless
    ... Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi with Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Adapter, ... NetGear RangeMax WMN802 Wireless Access Point ... I do have to repair the network connection as ... could install this driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)