Cannot resolve host names over VPN

I have set up a VPN server on my desktop computer. The primary reason
for setting up this VPN is to be able to access my home network shares,
networked printers, VNC, as well as web pages not accessible to the
internet on my laptop while away from home. While testing out my VPN at
a friends house I found that I cannot access my network shares, etc by
their host name, but am able to access some things but only by using the
local IP address of the computer in my home network.

The setup:
VPN Server: Windows Vista Ultimate (x64 SP1)
VPN Client: Windows Vista Home Premium (x64 SP1)

I know I am lousy at explaining things if there is any more info needed
let me know. Please note that I'm not a network admin by trade so please
keep that in mind with any responses.

--
trm96
trm96's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/trm96.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: remore desktop ...
    ... Network connection beteen your network and your friends network (The ... VPN connection is ... BT Voyager defaults to using network 192.168.1.xxx. ... Chose which PC will be the VPN server and which will be the VPN ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Remote Desktop Command Fixation Attacks
    ... This set of steps is redundant in many places, and it's also enormously expensive, since you're using no less than three different expensive bits of networking hardware (AP, PIX, VPN Concentrator), in addition to a bunch of x86 server hardware, windows server licenses, and at least one ISA license. ... Your computers necessarily don't have full access to your network infrastructure when they aren't logged on, so GPOs, software updates, etc can't be applied at the times you want them to be applied. ... Turning on, enabling, and implementing every possible security setting and device you think of is not defence in depth, and will probably only have two effects - your users won't use your wireless network, and you'll burn so much cash you won't have any left to spend on *useful* security measures. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • TidBITS#792/15-Aug-05
    ... We also note the release of Security Update 2005-007, ... Macintosh FTP client, free for educational and charitable use. ... mentioned virtual private network (VPN) technologies. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.digest)
  • Re: Cant access resources on Windows XP VPN server
    ... Network 192.168.2.X its IP address on its network and another under 'PPP ... the one assigned to VPN server should work. ... can you ping the Church PC by IP? ...
  • RE: OpenVPN and IP Forwarding
    ... I have the VPN server running on the "router" machine and the client on the side of the end users. ... The VPN server is just one machine, yours, and not part of another local network right? ... We are trying to solve a routing problem from ONE machine, the VPN server, to the network on the private network other side of the VPN right? ...
    (Debian-User)