Re: Connecting my Vista laptop to the XP server so I can Print

Make sure the printer driver is 64-bit and you need to make it work on the local printer. If local printer doesn't work, the network printer won't work.

"MCED" <MCED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C984BB78-D3E2-4A29-AF95-FFEDE03A5890@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert,
Thanks for your response. I have added the printer as a local printer, but
now I get an error that HP does not recognize it ( or sum such thing). I
have added and removed a few printer ports upon the suggestion of the last
guru. I finally downloaded the drivers again direct from HP (through the
Vista compatibility site)....but it would not load them (got that error of HP
does not support that or something). My printer is a HP2200dtn. It would
not load even though the compatiblity site indicates it IS compatible.
My last Vista laptop (which I got frustrated with this issue and sent it
back) it DID load the printer and WOULD print when I connected it directly.
This one will not.
Help.
Thanks.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

In most cases, adding the printer as local first and re-mapping it as
network printer should work. When you finish the first step - adding the
local printer, can you print it locally?

In the second step, make sure you map the network printer correct. I would
make the printer share name short and no space.

.