Re: Cannot connect using Remote Assistance

Hello Sooner A1. Just wanted to add the fact that our workgroup machines, while networked through the Actiontec modem, all have static IP addresses assigned to them. We have also modified the 'Hosts' file on the Vista machine so that those IP addresses and computer names are properly associated and can be properly resolved over the network by the Vista machine.

*************
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u5wkbqMQJHA.4492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is this in a domain environment or a workgroup environment? AFAIK Remote Assistance offer functionality from a Vista to a XP machine only works in a domain environment. Here is a procedure that works for me in a workgroup environment.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

Otherwise a third-party program like TeamViewer for example may work for you.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  • Re: Domain and Workgroup
    ... I set up an account on the Vista machine without a password on it. ... the laptop can see the vista machine (and others in the network) ... don't really know about host files, and how to create one there if that is ...
  • Re: xp sees vista but vista cant see xp
    ... Have you assigned permission in Security tab? ... Troubleshooting error code 0x80070035 ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ... The xp machine can see the vista machine and access files in the public ...
  • Re: Vista to Vista RDC problem, The logon attempt failed.
    ... All 3 computers are in the same workgroup. ... ONE VISTA MACHINE IS UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE OTHER VISTA MACHINE VIA ... RDC OR ADMINISTRATIVE NETWORK SHARE, GETTING ACCESS DENIED WHEN I TRY. ... The XP machine has no problems connecting to that Vista machine via ...
  • XP Sees Vista Machine In Workgroup Computers, But Not Shared Files
    ... on the network, but my XP machine will not see any files in the Vista ... The Vista machine ID was populated on it's own when I clicked on to view ... and folders** is strictly a one-way problem. ... Public Folder Sharing is ON ...
  • Re: Vista problems printing to XP computer
    ... On the Vista machine the Local Port should be ... I have a Lexmark 7350 installed and working on an XP Pro machine. ... In the Network window, I can see the "Lexmark" printer on the XP ...