Re: Cannot connect using Remote Assistance

Hello Sooner A1. Just wanted to add the fact that our workgroup machines, while networked through the Actiontec modem, all have static IP addresses assigned to them. We have also modified the 'Hosts' file on the Vista machine so that those IP addresses and computer names are properly associated and can be properly resolved over the network by the Vista machine.

*************
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u5wkbqMQJHA.4492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is this in a domain environment or a workgroup environment? AFAIK Remote Assistance offer functionality from a Vista to a XP machine only works in a domain environment. Here is a procedure that works for me in a workgroup environment.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

Otherwise a third-party program like TeamViewer for example may work for you.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375