Re: Connecting to network printer

Thank you for the update.

"Silver Fox" <SilverFox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:04AF6644-10FC-4D3B-AA09-9F3D1D97EBAE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used the suggestion below from Alan Morris (installed the Vista driver on
XP machine) and it was successful: -

"If the XP driver on the server is not compatible with Vista, when you make
the connection, some of the XP driver downloads to Vista but fails with
invalid data.

winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

Most likely the best way to print to the device shared from XP is to either
replace the XP driver on XP with the Vista driver (talk to Lexmark first if
they support this configuration), or create a Local printer targeting a
Local Port in the form \\XPmachine\printsharename, then select the Vista
driver for the device.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team"

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

For troubleshooting, you may want to try clean boot. Please post back with
the result.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

>I am trying to connect to a network printer from my laptop with Vista
> operating system. The printer (Lexmark 5200 series) is conected by USB
> cable
> to my desktop with XP operating system. I keep getting this error > message
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be > completed
> (error 0x0000000d)."
> I have set up the network, configures my Firewall (Norton 360) and can
> file
> share and also 'see' the printer. I have downloaded the Vista driver > for
> the
> printer and the printer works when using the USB connection. I have
> reviewed
> lots of 'threads' on this issue and tried all the suggestions including
> ammending the registry as per Microsoft error messages. Furthermore > after
> have tried (unsuccessfully) to 'Add the Printer' I cannot communicate > with
> the printer when it is connected directly to my laptop. To remedy this > I
> have
> to uninstall the printer, run Lexmark cleanuputility and then reinstall
> the
> driver. Can anybody shed some light on this thorny problem?

  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... >>I can't print from the printer attached to my Windows 98 machine using my XP ... >>not have the correct printer driver installed etc". ... >>clicked OK to continue and selected the built-in XP Lexmark Z52 driver from ... >>Add Printer wizard and has a pipe attached, indicating a network printer. ...
  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... >>>I can't print from the printer attached to my Windows 98 machine using my XP ... >>>Add Printer wizard and has a pipe attached, indicating a network printer. ... >>>98 machine and I can successfully ping the 98 machine from my XP laptop. ... >>>driver name showed up as UNIDRV.DLL on my XP test page when it last worked. ...
  • Re: Cant print to my Windows 98 shared printer from my XP compute
    ... is seen by the XP machine and installs as a network ... >>>I can't print from the printer attached to my Windows 98 machine using my XP ... >>>98 machine and I can successfully ping the 98 machine from my XP laptop. ... >>>driver name showed up as UNIDRV.DLL on my XP test page when it last worked. ...
  • Re: network printing problem
    ... > I did set up user accounts on the winxp, but sounds like I didn't need to ... >> Those commands will not work when sent to a computer running Windows 98, ... >> already got the "Network Printer" added to your Windows 98 computers. ... >> driver or did you have the driver already installed? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Unable to print over the network from my XP laptop
    ... I can't print from the printer attached to my Windows 98 machine using my XP ... not have the correct printer driver installed etc". ... network, it displays the following message: ... 98 machine and I can successfully ping the 98 machine from my XP laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)