Re: Simple Workgroup

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:21:16 GMT, "Thom Little" <thom@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have a Workgroup with two computers (A and B). A is WindowsXP SP3 and B
is Windows Vista Ultimate.

The four partitions on A are configured to be shared by local and network
users. The two partitions on B are configured to be shared by local and
network users.

The accounts used on both machines are the same names and passwords. They
all are Administrator accounts. UAC is turned off on Vista.

Previously this worked perfectly for me. I could access all six partitions
from either machine and it never prompted me for a password.

Something changed with no known action from me.

Now I can access all six partitions from node A. I cannot access the four
partitions on node A from node B. I can only access the two partitions on
node B.

In the Network display on node B I can see node A.
In the Computer display on node B I can see the four partitions on node A.

If I attempt to access a node A partition from node B it throws up a dialog
box asking for a user name and password. Both are blank in the dialog. If
I respond with the current username and password it simply asks me for the
information again.

How do I recover from this "feature" and go back to my simple two node
workgroup that permits access of all partitions from either node?

Check the permissions on the shared partitions on node A, and make
sure that they include the "Everyone" group.

If that doesn't help, un-share and re-share the partitions and see if
that fixes the problem.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com