Re: Vista Home Premium can't RDP to Server2003 from Internet

I didn't know that. I never wondered about it, either. When I didn't get a
response from a telnet command I didn't bother looking any further, figuring
that it was good riddance.

But it is very nice to know this, especially for situations where
installation of an Open Source (or other third party) telnet substitute isn't
going to be accepted.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

By default, telnet is disabled. This how to may help.

Vista How toHow to Enable Remote Desktop On Vista · How to: Enable telnet on
Vista · How to: Enabling ICS on Vista · How to: find out which edition of
Vista running ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

"wdueck" <wdueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or
something like that. Does Vista Home Premium have telnet and if so, how do
you access/turn it on?
Thanks for responding,
-Wayne

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Can you telnet port 3389 from the internet?

"wdueck" <wdueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, its changed from 3389 but the router is port forwarding to the
server.
It works with my XP laptop.
-Wayne

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Assuming you have a router in the office, have you forward port 3389?

"wdueck" <wdueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium that I can remote desktop to
the
2003
server when on the same network using the private 192.168.x.x, but
when
take the laptop home and try to remote in using our public ip
address,
get
the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". My
XP
laptop can remote in just fine from the internet so the firewall /
router
is
working fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-Wayne

  • Re: Vista Home Premium cant RDP to Server2003 from Internet
    ... I tried to telnet but got the message that telnet was an unknown command or ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...
  • Re: Remote Desktop Not Working
    ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ... one that has had no issues with computers connecting to ... Troubleshooting terminal server issues "Because of a network error, ...
  • Re: Error message 0x80070035-Windows
    ... You need to find out the remote computer IP using ipconfig. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com ... I ran the cacls command, but not sure how to redirect it to a file to copy ...
  • Re: Vista Home Premium cant RDP to Server2003 from Internet
    ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...
  • Re: Vista Home Premium cant RDP to Server2003 from Internet
    ... an Open Source Telnet / SSH client. ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...