Re: How many users can access a vista Pc?

james13009 wrote:

Currently we have XP home this allows 5 users to connect to it.

We need to upgrade to xp professional which allows up to 10 users to
conenct to a single pc.

But in vista its not so clear. We where thinking of using vista instead,
But im a little confused about how many users can connect to which
version.

Ill start off and assume that Vista home only allows 5 connections,
but what about vista/premium/business?

Im looking for a system that allows up to 10 users

First of all, the limitation is not on *users* or *computers*. The
limitation is on *connections*. One computer can, and often does, make
multiple connections.

You should probably be looking at Small Business Server or, if you are only
using the pseudo-server as a file server (not running programs on it), you
could use one of the many Linux distros which are free and have no such
limitation.

Refer to "Device Connections" in the License Terms for Microsoft Windows
Vista. For more information please see:
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Inbound connections limit in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882

5 - XP Home/Vista Home Basic
10 - Vista Home Premium/Vista Ultimate/XP Pro
49 - SBS 2000
74 - SBS 2003
Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: OT: Controlling another computer w/ot Remote Desktop
    ... I have one computer that has Vista Premium on it which doesn't allow ... did allow connections via remote desktop. ... Real VNC looks like a good product from the experts of VNC. ... I set up the server and the viewer but am having some problems. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: fax/scan for Vista Home Premium
    ... I stated I had a fax server and could not use it in Vista Home ... They are monitizing functionality. ...
  • Re: OT: Controlling another computer w/ot Remote Desktop
    ... I have one computer that has Vista Premium on it which doesn't allow ... did allow connections via remote desktop. ... Real VNC looks like a good product from the experts of VNC. ... I set up the server and the viewer but am having some problems. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Vista wont maintain server share connection
    ... Vista Home doesn't remember the cache credentials. ... While she can map drives to shares on both domain file ... servers, the mapping to the shares on server A stick with no problem whereas ...
  • Re: How many pcs can be hosted on a Vista home network?
    ... know the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business? ... I'm assuming that you don't mean how many computers can be on a home ...