Re: Can't see XP network from Vista

Hi
Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"DR" <DR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4044C4A9-79A8-4A6D-AE78-08019A1CFA4C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have WASTED hours trying to get what should work out of the box to work.

I simply want to see shared files on my XP Pro PC on my Vista PC.

I followed the guide here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx#EDAA

I installed the 922120 patch.

I unblocked a bunch of ports.

I re-ran the setup a new home network wizard on the XP computer.

I re-named both work groups to be the exact same thing.

But it still doesn't work.

I am beyond astounded that Microsoft would not build this BASIC
FUNCTIONALITY into Windows Vista out of the box.

It is really making me want to use a Mac, and I have been using PC's for
over 20 years.

So, all rants aside, can anyone help?

Thanks.

  • Re: Instructions for making a share accessible to Windows 98SE?
    ... a share visible and accessable to Windows 98SE? ... Vista computer could access, but I can't get the Vista comptuer shares ... turning on public sharing and guest access. ... However, while the win98 computer can see the Vista, when I double- ...
  • Re: Windows 2000 Pro SP4, XP Home and Vissta Business 32
    ... Hey Jack, thanks for the encyclopaedia of references for me to go read up on. ... One quick question, though, why can I not see my Windows 2000 machine from the Vista Network Map via the router? ... The following contains setting of Sharing about few of the Windows client OS;. ...
  • Re: Leopard shares not showing up in Vista?
    ... I turned on windows sharing on my Macbook Pro, ... So I went to the folder I was interested in, "Get Info", check "Shared ... In Vista, I right click in the window and pick refresh. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Leopard shares not showing up in Vista?
    ... I turned on windows sharing on my Macbook Pro, ... So I went to the folder I was interested in, "Get Info", check "Shared ... In Vista, I right click in the window and pick refresh. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... Printer Properties> sharing> share this printer. ... Let windows do its thing it may take a while. ... As for the printer port settings it is USB001 ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)