Re: Can't copy large files from XP Share

For troubleshooting, try to disable auto tuning. If that doesn't work, test MTU size. These links may help
Vista file transfer issue
Vista file transfer issue. Can't copy large files between Vista and Windows 2003 · Not Able to READ or Write to External Hard Drive Thru Network ....
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistafiles.htm

How to determine the optimal MTU
In a case you may need to modify the MTU size and wonder how to determine the optimal MTU for your system. You can use ping command to do so, for example, ...
www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/mtu4.htm

"newsgroups.comcast.net" <R@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:w-CdnXscReXknfjVnZ2dnUVZ_qninZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have the same problem when copying from an XP Share on a workgroup.

I can't copy from an XP share to a Vista SP1 laptop ...actually two
different laptops. The limit seems to be 20 Meg for a wireless and
around 100 Meg for a wired connection, almost as if there is a 'time
out' on the copying time. The limit is reached whether it is one file
or many files. When the limit is reached, any files below the limit
will copy correctly. After the limit is reached, the 'Retry' window
will popup. If 'Retry' is pressed, it will copy another limit's worth
of files.

The source XP system is in a windows Workgroup, XP Professional SP2
with the LinkLayer update for Vista added. I took the same laptop to work

and it worked fine on a Domain PC with an XP share folder.

The destination system is a brand new Vista Home Premium with SP1
preinstalled. The network adapters were updated with the latest
drivers.

When the firewalls and all AntiVirus are disabled, the problem still
occurs.
The windows accounts and password match on both systems.
Sharing is turned on and Everyone has read permissions.

On both Vista, file sharing on or off makes no difference
Also, password protection on or off makes no difference.
The transfer quota is set to unlimited.
Windows firewalls are turned off.
The router is a D-Link DIR -655.
When attempting a wired copy, the wireless is disabled.

XP to XP copies work fine. And from Vista to XP works fine (opposite
direction), as does Vista to Vista. It only fails from XP to Vista.

Any help would be appreciated. Cross posted to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
Also as a response to mzfl on 6/21.

I have an open incident with Microsoft, but so far, they have not been able
to resolve the situation.

I highly suspect the new file copy algorithm / permission validation in the
new SP1. SP1 was supposed to correct the file copy problems, but I don't
think it did for some OS installs.

Thanks in advance
-R

"mzfl" <mzfl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • Re: Why wont MS and some other sites load on Vista and W2K?
    ... ping -l XXX www.free.fr ... The maximum MTU is normaly calculated by Windows through the PMTU: ... Some pages load and some don't, ... but just in Vista. ...
  • Re: max packet size a NIC is capable of
    ... And, IMs are known to cause bad performance, so on Vista+ better use LWFs or WFP. ... MTU on the path to a given host. ... the MTU of an ip interface on top of my IM is shorter than ...
  • Re: Why wont MS and some other sites load on Vista and W2K?
    ... You may post to the vista forum. ... the Mtu can affect deeply the download of web pages and images. ... Some pages load and some don't, ... but just in Vista. ...
  • Re: OT: News.Individual.Net
    ... CD that came with it doesn't work with Vista, and I had to do some ... tricky stuff to get it set up in the first place. ... I think you'll find tweaking your MTU is extra luv. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)