RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL

TT,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately they did not work. Do you by
chance have any other ideas? I think its a a problem with NEtBIOS over
TCP/IP. Why, even though I have it enabled, does it come out as disabled in
the ipconfig /all?

Thanks again.

"TT" wrote:

Dear Sid,

I've already posted this under a thread called 'authentification mystery',
but as it was originated some weeks ago it's a bit hard to find. Thus this is
a complete cite of that enty and I hope it might help.

Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:

(a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \

There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.

Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.

(b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
workstations) Got to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}

(where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
entries till you got it)

There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
REG_DWORD

Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
router doesn't support it.

After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.

Sincerely,

Therese

.