RE: Return of XP-Vista Networking HELL

TT,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately they did not work. Do you by
chance have any other ideas? I think its a a problem with NEtBIOS over
TCP/IP. Why, even though I have it enabled, does it come out as disabled in
the ipconfig /all?

Thanks again.

"TT" wrote:

Dear Sid,

I've already posted this under a thread called 'authentification mystery',
but as it was originated some weeks ago it's a bit hard to find. Thus this is
a complete cite of that enty and I hope it might help.

Uuups -- after several weeks I finally found two small registry patches that
solved the problem thanks to the hints on PChuck's Network:

(a) (That's possible the most important one when using fixed IPs) Got to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Lsa \

There you either find or have to create "LMCompatibilityLevel" as REG_DWORD.

Enter 1 as value on all computers in your network. That instructs your
computer to use NTLMv2, where possible, but to also accept older auth methods.

(b) (Important if you use a DHCP server to assign the IP addresses of your
workstations) Got to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Tcpip \
Parameters \ Interfaces \ {GUID}

(where {GUID} means your active network card, just bwrowse through your few
entries till you got it)

There you either find or have to create "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" as
REG_DWORD

Enter a value of 0 -- this way Vista does not use DHCP broadcast if your
router doesn't support it.

After a restart I could connect to my XP Pro SP3 workstations again.

Sincerely,

Therese

  • Re: dhcp
    ... We have about 10000 computers on the ... How come the network is up and running. ... Basically what I mean is that everything is on the same LAN, ... dhcp server is making the entire network unsecure. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: XP Pro does not map Computer Names to Network IP addresses Why?
    ... >>fixed information, though, will only be used if a DHCP server is NOT available. ... >>ZAP I've worked with, I set the scope to individual ... >It seems that ZAP lets anything from the network in if the network is trusted. ... The DHCP server is only used to assign IP settings to computers which request ...
  • Re: Internet Connection Sharing and 2 PCs
    ... However, to the point, I have some more questions about implementing ICS ... My two PCs' are on a network and can "see" each other okay. ... The IP addresses of the computers are "manually configured" according to ... Your current setup doesn't have a DHCP server, ...
  • Re: Network Security
    ... >>I've been tasked to protect out network from unwanted clients ... > configure the DHCP server to only give out addresses to specific MAC ... > that says no visiting computers. ... >>not 'known' to us then we can stop it getting an IP from the DHCP server? ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Trying again....DHCP, mapped drives, ip
    ... The IP address lease 192.168.1.113 for the Network Card with network address ... 00508D535420 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server ... time learning how if this could potentially solve the problem of not ... All computers are running XP Pro. ...