Re: Vista Problem - Logging into Domain

"Dustin Ventin" <DustinVentin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:C5DAB386-E2FF-467E-8C45-97AED06FCC8B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm setting up a new Windows Server 2003 server for my company, with a
mixture of XP and Vista machines connecting to the server. I have
created
domain, and I can connect all my XP machines to the domain just fine.

The trouble with Vista is that whenever I try to log into the domain,
the
screen comes up with an error:

"The User Profile Service failed the login. User profile cannot be
loaded."

Unfortunitely I'm not a major networking guru, so I can't really
figure
out
what Vista is expecting here just to connect to a domain. I assumed
that
something this basic in networking wouldn't have been so complicated.
Any
ideas and/or help would be most appreciated.

Dustin

Hello Dustin.

Is this server the ONLY Domain controller in your Domain, and is it
hosting
your Domain's DNS?

"Dustin Ventin" <DustinVentin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes, this domain is the only domain controller, but no, I believe that my
firewall is taking care of the DNS administration. (Although, admittedly,
I'm not sure exactly because I'm more of a programmer than a network
administrator).

Dustin

Are you getting any error messages in you SYSTEM or APPLICAITON error logs
(or any other logs)(on both the server as well as the workstation). If so
what specifically are they?

Also: Previously in another post you mentioned SBS - is this an SBS server,
or a stand alone Windows 2003 server?

You may also want to install and run NETDIAG and DCDIAG and post those
results back here ...Should be able to install those tools from the Server
2003 install CD:

- install the Support Tools using the Windows Server 2003 CD. To install
the support tools:

1.. Insert the Windows Server 2003 CD.
2.. From the Welcome screen, click Browse this CD.
3.. Locate the Support\Tools directory on the CD.
4.. Double click the suptools.msi and follow the instructions to complete
the installation.
Netdiag can be used to obtain basic network information. Dcdiag obtains
info about the Domain controller

If it is SBS003, I believe the support tools is located on Disk #2

Aaron.

.