Re: trouble adding a computer

Sorry. Yes, we do have a router. The laptops are wireless.
--
Kathy

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

You say you are using a modem for the Desktop.
If you have 3 computers, you normally use a Router.
Are you trying to hook up the laptops wirelessly or Wired?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"KEM" wrote:

I frankly haven't any idea whether we can "ping" each other. (I don't even
know what that means.) I set it up originally following the Microsoft setup
wizard. We don't share files or printers or any such things--trying to share
a printer once before was a disaster. Access to the internet--we have a cable
modem connection to the desktop--is the key feature desired.
--
Kathy

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
ping each other by I?

"KEM" <KEM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two
laptops
running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another
running
Vista.
Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
--
Kathy

.