Re: trouble adding a computer

Sorry. Yes, we do have a router. The laptops are wireless.
--
Kathy

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

You say you are using a modem for the Desktop.
If you have 3 computers, you normally use a Router.
Are you trying to hook up the laptops wirelessly or Wired?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"KEM" wrote:

I frankly haven't any idea whether we can "ping" each other. (I don't even
know what that means.) I set it up originally following the Microsoft setup
wizard. We don't share files or printers or any such things--trying to share
a printer once before was a disaster. Access to the internet--we have a cable
modem connection to the desktop--is the key feature desired.
--
Kathy

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

We need more information to help. How do you setup your network? Can you
ping each other by I?

"KEM" <KEM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I had successfully setup a network of a desktop running Vista and two
laptops
running XP. One of the laptops "died" and we replaced it with another
running
Vista.
Try as I might, following all the instructions I can find, I cannot link
this new laptop. Should I just abandon the old network and start fresh?
--
Kathy

  • Re: No connection to internet on wireless
    ... Depends on the specific router, and this is the first thing covered in the ... Depends on the wireless card drivers. ... disconnected the internet from the laptop the did not get internet ... 1 desktop and 3 laptops. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: new to wireless/networking
    ... filesharing/internet connection at home, ... You don't need that setup with a wire/wireless AP router. ... Local Area Network) LAN or machines wired or wireless connected to the ... Cable modem would go into this, desktop hardwired to it and laptops ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • NAT, PPTP, VPN and routers
    ... I have two almost identical laptops running XP that connect to their ... out trusty netgear wireless router, ... The replacement was a belkin F5D8630 (pre-n, adsl modem, wireless). ... reliably VPN connection. ...
  • Re: Problem w/ BEFSR41 and Intel 2915ABG
    ... now I can't connect to my Linksys BEFSR41 Wireless B router. ... The laptops connect fine to other wireless APs (i.e. WRT54G v4s, ... Microsoft APs, Hotel APs) but just not to the BEFSR41. ... These laptops were known to work fine with the BEFSR41. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Router problems.
    ... Did you ever type in a pass phrase in the router? ... It wont matter how many times you type one in the laptops if it does not ... The most common for XP is WZC (Wireless Zero Config). ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)