Re: Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Not Available?

hi momentarylapseofreason,

you wont be able to browse computers if your DNS Settings are not given
to the Domains DNS server. the reson for this if there is no DNS server
spcified the Vista computer doesnt know where to check for other
computer names that it does not recognize. For example if you want to
access a computer called DEN-DC1.contoso.msft. first your vista computer
will try to find in its own resolver cache to see if there are any dns
records for DEN-DC1.contoso.msft if it cannot it will try your dns
server. For this u need to spcifiy a DNS Server. Also on your vista
computer make sure Netbios is enabled.

Do the following

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows Vista
Summary
This article explains how to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

More Information
To enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows Vista:

Click Start, and then click Network. (Or you can click Start, type
ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network
Connections.
Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are
using.
Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
Click the WINS tab.

Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.
Click Ok.

Hope this helps

Cheers !!

--
john_cena

-Shihan Sylvester Pietersz-
-(MCP,MCSA,MCSE+Security,MCSE+Messeging-
-MCTS,MCITP)-
-Systems -::-Engineer / Consultant Trainer- ::

  • Re: event id 1054 - Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
    ... Some additional resources for Vista use In an SBS environment. ... Does your DNS server has It self as Its DNS server? ... There 2 Gateway pc with Broadcom NICs, and 1 Dell with Vista Business ... I've tried to uninstall the NIC and reiinstalled and didn't work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Win2000 desktop is not allowing me to login in domain as well as local computer
    ... It still doesnt work. ... how to fix my machine. ... I think the DNS server values in tcp/ip config got screwed up. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Error message 1054
    ... >If your machine is in a domain and gets its Tcp/Ip ... >old DHCP lease, or the network connectivity is bad, ... >or the DNS server does not have the needed records ... >connected to the network during boot. ...
  • Re: Losing connection to Vista 64 machine
    ... Check your routers DNS server settings, if you are able to provide only the router LAN ip address to the clients. ... Vista machine fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: NetBIOS Question...
    ... Windows 2000 and later use DNS srv records to find the Domain Controller. ... The PC will use the DNS server set up in its TCP/IP properties to find the ... > We have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all test DCs, Fileserver, PCs. ...