Re: Home Network with Vista and XP Strange Behaviour

Aviator wrote:

Hi,

I have read and re-read the posts about vista-xp networking but somehow
the suggestions still don't work. I can access the Vista laptop through
the desktop PC XP SP2 which is wired to the router but I can't acces the
desktop pc via the laptop which is connected wirelessly, though it shows
it in the "Network" window. I get an error that says Windows cannot access
(computer name) error code:0x80070035 network path was not found. Then it
offers to diagnose and then when it has finished, it says "Cannot
communicate with (Computer name) 192.168.1.3" This seems strange as I can
access Vista with XP but not XP with Vista. Can anyone help please?
Thanks.

Check your firewall on the XP box. See:

Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

What firewall, antivirus, and other security software are you running on the
XP box?

Also, please provide the results of an ipconfig /all on both machine in your
the gateway, and the DNS servers.

XP:
Start>Run>cmd [enter]
ipconfig /all [enter]

Vista:
Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in the Results above, right-click it and run as
Administrator. Then do the ipconfig at the command prompt as above.

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!

  • Re: Can connect to network, cannot see other computers
    ... Like many other new Vista x64 users, I'm able to connect to my home ... network XP Home and Vista with no problem. ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Networking 2 computers
    ... XP, the notebook on Vista. ... I have given the same name to both network names and HOME as the ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page
    ... "daviedoug" wrote: ... My wife's is connected via the Network. ... Firewall off and done the installation?. ... I don't know what you mean with windows Firewall, ...
  • Re: share printer help needed
    ... But still have private network on new wireless laptop with vista and unable to get old desktop with xp connected with the laptop. ... xp network setup wizard sez: create a 3-1/2 floppydisk or use a Win xp cd and use on all machines. ... by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ...
  • Re: Setting up a network using XP and Vista
    ... I have followed the instructions in the XP Network Set Up Wizard. ... To make it consistent with Vista I ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)