re-establishing a network

OK, I admit it, I'm not a computer guy. I recently bought a new (Vista Home Premium) PC to replace my XP PC. On the XP PC I had a wireless network I could access with my PDA and laptop from almost anywhere in my house. With the Vista PC I fail constantly. I have read a handful of web articles on how to accomplish this but I apparently am missing a step.
The Netgear router is working on the Vista PC. Firewall on the laptop is (when I'm trying to get a connection) disabled. The Network status on the laptop and PDA show a good signal. How do I troubleshoot this?
FWIW, 'Connect to a Network' on the Vista PC and laptop show 2 networks - one secured and one unsecured. I don't know why. All I want is the secured.
Can I uninstall these wireless networks and create a new one?
The Vista PC also has a wired?/cabled? network to access the cable modem and NAS. Does this make a difference?

  • RE: Network between XP & Vista
    ... I have a laptop running vista that is connected wirelessly. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ... ON (So it can see the other computers) ...
  • Re: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
    ... I have Norton Internet Security and on the Laptop I have Trend Micro's Client Server Security Agent v 5.0. ... Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing. ... In Vista Network and Sharing: ...
  • Re: Vista wireless problem
    ... The network works OK with XP machines and with a new Linux eeepc. ... The vista laptop works fine for news, ... For example I can ping my adsl router but not access it in firefox ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Vista Not Playing Nice - Sharing Files
    ... The Computer Browser service is running on both the desktop and the laptop. ... On the "Show Me All the Files and Folders I am Sharing" link in the Network ... Vista to Vista shouldn't be an issue. ... Vista Permission Issues ...
  • Re: Vista Not Playing Nice - Sharing Files
    ... Password Protected Sharing that I can not access the desktop at all? ... the laptop so that I don't have to log in to the desktop after a reboot? ... Can't access Vista because of password protection Can't access Vista C ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ...