Re: Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.

Jim Bryan wrote:

I get the following error

System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
\\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?

"Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer
cannot
access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is
peer
to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are
trying
to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects
the user name/password from vista computer).

Here's the problem:
I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the
share, you get a user name/password error.

You need to create a user account and password on the Win2k machine that
matches the one(s) on the other computers. You may think you've done this,
but obviously something is wrong. Very often this comes about because
someone cosmetically changes the user that comes default from the factory
(HP_Administrator or Owner for example) to their name but of course that
doesn't change the real user account.

So double-check 1) all user accounts and passwords on all machines; 2)
create matching ones.

You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista and may also work for Win2k (I don't remember,
sorry):

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!

  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Anyone using Vista?
    ... of either Vista or Win 7, I see no reason or advantage to upgrading. ... Windows 2000 nearly did that. ... machines and nothing would be there for MS's customers. ... working when Microsoft 'dropped support', I am sure that they would ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Anyone using Vista?
    ... of either Vista or Win 7, I see no reason or advantage to upgrading. ... Windows 2000 nearly did that. ... machines and nothing would be there for MS's customers. ... working when Microsoft 'dropped support', I am sure that they would ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Anyone using Vista?
    ... Windows 2000 nearly did that. ... machines and nothing would be there for MS's customers. ... So the users got stuck with Vista, ... working when Microsoft 'dropped support', I am sure that they would ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Question for group, modding Windows Vista Ultimate (& XP if possible too)
    ... I have several machines I manage in a neat workstation ... building a completely Vista based system eventually... ... hybrid Windows XP & Vista system.... ... have to install third-party programs. ...