Re: Can't Access Win 2000 Share from a vista computer.

Hi

I can sure try again, but we tried to connect as an existing user (for
example, Kathy). It rejected the user name/password. This is true although
Kathy has been setup as a valid user account on all of our 2000 systems with
never expiring password for about 4 years. We really don't need security on
the lan, but W2k..... Anyway, we tried to connect using each of the
existing accounts on this system, but none worked. Then we created a new
user account on the problem W2K sys and we could not get it work from the
Vista system either.

The funny thing is we can access the shares on the other W2K systems from
the vista machine, without any problems. There is something a little
different about the 2000 installation on this particular machine that Vista
doesn't like. I will try re-creating the account on the 2000 sys.

Thanks

Jim

"Malke" wrote:

Jim Bryan wrote:

I get the following error

System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

Do you receive system error if using this command: net view
\\problematicw2000ipaddress from the Vista?

"Jim Bryan" <JimBryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
We have 3 W2k computers and a new vista computer. The Vista computer
cannot
access the shares on ONE of the Windows 2000 computers. The network is
peer
to peer and with the exception of the Vista computer accessing this
particular Win 2000 computer, everyone can access everything. (we are
trying
to share a printer on the Win 2000 computer, but the computer rejects
the user name/password from vista computer).

Here's the problem:
I have triple checked the permissions and when you try to access the
share, you get a user name/password error.

You need to create a user account and password on the Win2k machine that
matches the one(s) on the other computers. You may think you've done this,
but obviously something is wrong. Very often this comes about because
someone cosmetically changes the user that comes default from the factory
(HP_Administrator or Owner for example) to their name but of course that
doesn't change the real user account.

So double-check 1) all user accounts and passwords on all machines; 2)
create matching ones.

You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista and may also work for Win2k (I don't remember,
sorry):

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!

  • Re: Vista 64 Home Premium Connects With One of Two XP Pro PCs
    ... My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium ... Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. ... Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the ...
  • Re: New Vista user - could use some help.
    ... that several of the important drivers were unavailable for Windows XP, ... decided to bite the bullet and live with Vista. ... I became extremely frustrated with, what I think is, User Account ... be also an administrator account, ...
  • Re: New Vista user - could use some help.
    ... that several of the important drivers were unavailable for Windows XP, ... decided to bite the bullet and live with Vista. ... I became extremely frustrated with, what I think is, User Account ... be also an administrator account, ...
  • Duplication user icons on Vista login (Welcome) screen
    ... However I am using a new desktop that does not have any finger print readers and Vista already had all the latest updates. ... I have successfully done this on my previous computer with windows XP. ... use "net user" to restrict the logon time and days of that standard users account so that it only auto logon to run the task. ... So I did the above in Windows Vista and for the most part it works, except that after using "net user" to restrict the logon hours the standard user account that I created is now shown twice on the Vista logon screen. ...
  • Re: Recycle Bin - User access denied
    ... I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. ... software installation packages like to put their desktop shortcuts there. ... has user accounts and type of account, logon to each user account and ... HP shopping,and HP Solution center on their desktops. ...