Vista file sharing across and Access Point / Networks / Merging, etc.

I have a simple LAN that includes a wireless access point device.
Some computers are wired and some computers are connected via the AP /
wireless.
All computers are on the same subnet as you might well expect.
Most computers are XP Pro.

We just introduced a new Vista system on the wireless part of the LAN.
The Network and Sharing Center settings were normal for our Vista systems:
"private network,
Network Discovery ON,
File Sharing ON,
Public Folder Sharing ON,
Printer Sharing ON,
Password Protected Sharing OFF,
Media Sharing OFF.

We shared the C: drive and the following observations were made:
All the computers on the LAN could see and get into the Public Folder
Only the wireless connected computers could see and get into the shared C:
drive.
The wired computers could see but could NOT get into the shared C: drive ...
initially.

I notice in other LANs that the wired computers in Network and Sharing
Center are connected to "Network"
I notice that this wireless Vista computer in Network and Sharing Center is
connected to "[ssid]" as a network name - so I suspect that a wired Vista
system on this same LAN would be connected to "Network".

I found the control that will "merge" networks and merged the SSID-named
wireless network with the "Network". That didn't help.
I added Everyone to the permissions on the Vista shared drive. That didn't
help.

Eventually, I added Guest to the shared drive permissions and it fixed the
problem. Now all the computers on the LAN can see the shared C: drive and
can get into it.
On other LANs I've not had to add Guest in order to gain access to shared
folders such as c:\Users\Me

I wonder why having the wireless segment matters here?
I wonder if the C: drive is handled differently than a subordinate folder in
such a case?

I need explanations that will allow me to reliably network Vista machines!

  • Re: Setting up secure wireless in your house.
    ... when they talk about a "secure network" what they really mean is that ... inasmuch as anyone listening in on a wireless ... there is no traffic on my network that I ... and it SHOULD allow me to access and share other devices on my LAN, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Unable to open shared files on wireless network
    ... Windows XP PRO and a laptop also running Windows XP PRO. ... I have both computers in my trusted zone in Zonealarm and I ... open the file and to check network connections etc. ... internet and my wireless card would not connect to my network. ...
  • Re: Unable to open shared files on wireless network
    ... Windows XP PRO and a laptop also running Windows XP PRO. ... I have both computers in my trusted zone in Zonealarm and I ... open the file and to check network connections etc. ... internet and my wireless card would not connect to my network. ...
  • Re: Unable to open shared files on wireless network
    ... Windows XP PRO and a laptop also running Windows XP PRO. ... I have both computers in my trusted zone in Zonealarm and I ... open the file and to check network connections etc. ... internet and my wireless card would not connect to my network. ...
  • Re: VPN over wireless
    ... You will still the need the Router to issue DHCP and wireless ... network but still access to the internet. ... LAN Router Wireless Router ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)